Thursday, November 16, 2006

Seasonal Signs or Merry What?!!




I am still on, what seems, is my Stephen King reading marathon. I carry my current King with me wherever I so I always have something to read. I read every morning or afternoon of possible on my train commute. If I am really lucky I’ll open the book when I get situation in my car and will not pull my head up until I arrive at the Delta station “ The end of the line as far as they go”. Yesterday when the train stopped at the City Center Station I looked up and there was a Christmas tree! November 15th, I really think this is the earliest I have seen trees out and lit up. This morning training in I saw four other large trees out and decorated and at least ten wreaths. I the daylight I do jot notice these as much as, now that I travel in darkness to and from work. I should qualify these statements with the decorations are either on corporate or State buildings. I have yet to see any Christmas decorations on private homes. This is good. A couple of networks have started their yuletide commercials accompanied with Christmas carols or jingles.

And I have to admit I was caught short when I saw the lit tree, and in spite of myself, felt myself warming to the season. I felt a distant excitement begin to build and I had to do one of those reality checks and examine my mental calendar and find that I have not even done Thanksgiving yet. I still have to figure out how I am going to celebrate Thanksgiving (with my older brother out of town. We usually go there for the meal.) How are we going to work Thanksgiving with mom being in the care facility? Do we need to bring her to our house, or is there some where there to eat with her in a quasi—make believe setting—at the care facility. I have yet to process Thanksgiving to be, let alone at getting all Christmasy.

Last night when I got home I did my usually cursory refrigerator examination looking for something to eat till we figured out what to do about dinner. Dianne had doctor appointments and I had asked that she stop at the market pharmacy and pick up my scripts. This she did and also picked up a quart of eggnog. I love eggnog and nothing brings out my holiday spirit more then eggnog. So whether I want to admit it or not the signs of the holidays are all round me, on the street, on the tube and in the fridge. I suppose I could fight the Spirit on the premise that the time is too early for the holidays or accept the fact that the holidays are here and just enjoy them with family, friends and strangers. Maybe the Christmas miracle is coming early this year for a reason and accept the miracle. Maybe I had better do the celebrating now because if I don’t celebrate now and I mean RIGHT NOW I will not get a chance at the more traditional time.

So Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas and happy New Year to one and all and you are ALL going to suffer my joyous attitude all through this season and if I slip let me know.

No comments: