Monday, November 20, 2006

Schrödinger’s Call

There is a timer on my phone. Each call I take is documented by date, time of can duration of the call. I am so used to the timer that I rarely consult the device unless I sense the call is dragging on way beyond normalcy. Today has been such a day. I am usally pretty good gauging my calls and bring the call skillfully to an end when they have run to the thirty minute mark or so. But today I ran into a time splitter or time ripper. Someone so skilled in the use of quantum mechanics that I swear, can drag a call to infinity, and show no time has elapsed at all. I just cleared the line. The caller just droned on and on and on. It was one of the people who can never get to the point but has mountains of medical trivia about themselves that they feel you must know about. I bet if you were to meet them they would be carrying round huge brown envelopes stuffed with x-ray images and medical histories. The really sad part is there is no where I can send these pour souls. They have been everywhere, they know the system for ward and backward. I swear I had been on the phone for what I thought was nearly an hour. Unless the call is a real interesting call I will give the caller 60 minutes and then start breaking the connection—that’s if it’s a quiet day. I felt I was closing in on the magic number when my eyes strayed to the phone clock and gadzooks! The clock showed I had only been on the call seven minutes and 35 seconds!! I first thought had read the counter wrong and that I actually had listed to the caller for 1 hour and seven minutes and thirty-five seconds, but no there was a zero in the “hour” place holder. That’s when I realized I had a QMer on the line.

A QMer is a quantum mechanic/time ripper. Usually service users so skilled in the time manipulation. What I think they do is take the infinitely small bits of positive time, happening in a conversation and replace that but with it’s identical bit of negative time and by doing so keep time itself motionless or near motionless. I have had professors and bosses in staff meetings use this skill during the years quite skillfully.

Once on to the QMer I was able to bring time back on line and bring the call to a close with out the QMer even being aware that we had returned to normal time flow.

Time is slowing now anyway as we are enter the vortex of holiday black hole where time slows to almost negativity for the individual as his surroundings go to light speed. The only thing one can do is get your sleep. Drink lots of water and keep your eye in your watch./

An anonymous read noted that she was concerned about Molly of last week’s blog. I spoke with Molly on Friday and she is doing OK. She still lives and is fighting the fight to stay in her home. I’ll keep you posted.

No comments: