Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Phfff!


I believe the weather forecasters are no longer forecasting the weather but writing the weather reports and adding what media they can when they can. I think the the forecaster’s goal is to write griping, compelling drama for the next days weather. The ACTUAL weather does not because that is not what the weather report is about. TheWeather Report, as broadcast at 5,6,and 11 is nothing but fiction-maybe because weather reporting is supposedly a science, then reporting would be Science Fiction!!

Yesterday was nothing but yammering about the great horrible snow storm which was supposed to descend on North Utah. The storm came but it was a huff and a pff and that was about it. Barely a skiff of snow lay on the ground as I burst out the door of my house this morning. One thing was accurate: the temperature was cold and I think will remain cold for the next couple of days. The temp is not bad though 25-35 degrees—brisk. I dress in layers, scarves, gloves and my cap. I am finding the parka I have used the past three years does not seem to be doing the job of repelling the cold this year. I need a nice, modern ski type jacket: a jacket which is light weight yet warm, repelling moisture in all forms. This warm clothing allow me to motor my power chair up to the train station. I would actually go up to the station in my chair then have to transfer from my power chair to the driver’s seat let the van warm up and then drive it five minutes up to the train the reverse the whole situation. It just easier to tolerate the elements and motor up.

So what ever storm and snow we have been getting have been coming in bands all day long. Dianne needed me to pick up some items from downtown and when I took off the snow was just beginning to fall and I had not been out five minutes and a “white out” was occurring. Well not a “white out” as experienced in Antarctica or the North Pole but white enough. I was bundled up pretty tight though. If I had brought y digital today I would have had someone snap an image I look pretty ridiculous. I feel that when I am all ‘puffed up’ I look like a fourth grader, one who’s mother has the kid so dressed up against the cold that if the kid falls down he will never be able to get himself back up. That is what I look like.

Well, there is my 3:00 pm Weather Bug, weather warning! The Winter Storm Advisory has been extended, now, till tomorrow at 8:00 am. The afternoon skies are gray and foreboding and the humanity walking past my “window on the West are bundled up, huddled into their jackets like turtles trying to pull them selves into their shells. I have had the heater blowing on me all day and the heat feels good. We are between snow bands right now the streets are clear of snow. However, I am sure by going home time the blizzard will be raging.

No comments: