Wednesday, February 07, 2018

Dental Luck



Once again I am going under the drill, the dentist drill.

I'm not in any pain thank goodness. That happened this afternoon as I was peddling my Saratoga Silver as I do every afternoon during the week. I'm listening to silly what's her name on Fresh Air, Monday my own business, when suddenly I feel a chunk of something floating around my mouth. You know you do that immediate inventory for the past few minutes when something like this happens.

I had just finished 20 minutes earlier they lunchmeat sandwich. The bread was supersoft as was the lunchmeat, all beef baloney(which by the way was really good). I kind of wolfed the sandwich down because I wanted to get on my arm bike and listen to Fresh Air. I followed the sandwich with four ancient Crows (a theater candy called Crows, seriously they're made of licorice they really should be called “Black Crows”. Dianne my former wife and great she wife she was, was always buying me treats like this. I didn't have enough time to eat them all so often they go into the drawer in my work desk and be forgotten.These Crows were purchased somewhere around the year 2000. I've had for a while. So now they're are petrified, they are hard as rocks. The only way they can be ingested is by sucking). That's what I was doing I have 4 black crows in my mouth, listening to NPR and cranking my arm like when suddenly I felt this piece a particular matter floating in my mouth. I quickly isolated the debris onto my lap and try to grasp the piece in my gloved hands that was done. I wear these clothes that fasten my hands to the hand cranks of my bike. When my gloves are on the only thing I have but I can pitch with our my thumbs. When I try to grasp the debris of course the debris fell from my lip onto my chest somewhere and would stay there until I finished my set 25 minutes later.

I work out 30 minutes, as I said every day, I felt sick not only was this, if this is what I think it is, going to be a quasi-emergent trip to the dentist but it's also going to add more debt to my life. I already old the guy just under $1000. But I wasn't sure. I Swishing my tongue around my mouth searching for what should've been an open pit mine but I couldn't find anything. I suck air into my mouth braced myself for sharp blast of pain no pain came. Once I had extricated my hands from my glovesI gently felt around my shirt and found a lump and carefully lifted the piece of something that looked like a space rock/shard. It was black as charcoal except the tip which is kind of silvery. My mind makes up all kinds of excuses when something like this happens. The books of licorice had rested in a drawer that housed my charcoals. However, the box has stayed wrapped in plastic for the decade in the drawer. The piece look like the tip of the pencil an art pencil like many that lived in a drawer. Did not make sense that a piece of charcoal can of get into the plastic wraped box but I was grasping at straws. I carefully carried the shard from the shelf of my belly to plastic bag and inserted and closed the top and headed across the street to Dr. Alan, my dentist.

I love having my dentist literally across the street. He of course was involved with the patient when I got there. I went to the side door is a little suicide ramp there but I can negotiate the door with my power chair and then pushed the door forward to get into the building. The whole crew always seems delighted to see me whenever I really. Today, it took a minute but finally one of the technicians stuck that mirrored device in my mouth, it took a while she did not find it at first but then in the very back of my mouth on the bottom was a place where she could tell an old, very old filling was gone the same black shard of silver that I brought in. Unbelievable. I'm so thankful this broken piece as cars not paying. I probably could have skated to next week but they have an appointment tomorrow at 2 PM. I have my first chapter meeting tomorrow at 4 PM, I don't know if I can make it on-time.I'm trying to do both of these tomorrow. The silver lining to this dark cloud, if there is one, is the cost of the procedure is $74.95 which they will happily apply to the current balance which is a around $900. begin the option of the “patch” or a crown. The patch is much less expensive essentially a filling.

Once again I want to emphasize a lucky I am. The filling could have left a sensitive root exposed pushed me into writhing pain, the incident that happened while I was by way from my dentist, the swallow the piece not had anything to show the dental staff. I could've lost the entire truth. I really am too lucky for words.

No comments: