Saturday, February 17, 2018

Roll Like A Man



I got positive reinforcements from yesterday's post one reader really liked the post. So I'm going to do another music video post blog and see how it works. When I was in high school – – remember I had to go to the rival high school. I sat at the seminary table in early morning study hall. This was a place to house all the students who got school early. Someday I'll write more about seminary tables but not today – – but I will say was that many of the folks who sat at the seminary table for also thespians and theater students in one year they put on West Side Story. I was totally blown away with the whole process. I had visions of rewriting West Side Story and having the modified version take place in a rehabilitation facility and everybody in the play would use wheelchairs. I even wrote some music on the road lyrics to some of the songs. Instead of Sharks and Jets again to be quads and paras.

I've been interested in presenting a number of different disability treatments to various pieces of music. When the concept of music videos came about in the 90s I really had visions of music videos of people with disabilities. I do not know how politically correct this would be, probably could be argued the disability focus in these music videos might be somewhat discriminatory but the project would certainly be fun if not liberating. Another group like the Vogues, who I really like a lot was the Four Seasons. And like the Vogues a lot of the Four Seasons music struck particular chords with me. I always liked Walk Like A Man but after my accident the whole concept of walking like a man was hilarious. I sort of like the idea the back of my mind for years and just smiled whenever that song came on during “golden oldies” weekend or whenever. It was when I went to work with the independent living center that I really began to cook on the idea of doing something musical/theatrical with people in wheelchairs. Of course we had a number of people who are paraplegic and staff as well as quadriplegics. I thought it would be great if we could get the music of Walk Like A Man playing in the background while a bunch of guys in chairs did sort of a locomotion across the viewfinder and lip-synch the lyrics. I just think this would be the best video.I can see three or four paras rolling across the stage together in formation lip-synching “walk walk walk”with four or five quads off to the side doing the chorus.

Of course this is just a pipe dream even less than a dream, really since I no longer work for the independent living center. The concept probably isn't even as hilarious as I tend to think it is and probably way from being politically correct but still what fun it would be to put Walk Like A Man into video format. Who knows maybe someday.





Walk like a man
Oh, how you tried to cut me down to size
Tellin' dirty lies to my friends
But my own father said "Give her up, don't bother
The world isn't comin' to an end"
(He said)
Walk like a man, talk like a man
Walk like a man my son
No woman's worth crawlin' on the earth
So walk like a man, my son
Bye bye baby, I don't-a mean maybe
Gonna get along somehow
Soon you'll be cryin' on account of all your lyin'
Oh yeah, just look who's laughin' now
(I'm gonna)
Walk like a man, fast as I can
Walk like a man from you
I'll tell the world "forget about it, girl"
And walk like a man from you

2 comments:

Cathy Irons said...

Nice Blog amazing post thanks to share this valuable information.

Meadowlark's Mind said...

Cathy – – thank you so much for leaving your comments. It means a lot. Feel free anytime. MS