Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Stopped By Snow





My toes can be a mess. I really have not been a good steward of my toes over my lifetime. I have to praise my former wife Dianne on her attempts to keep my toes and more specifically my toenails in check. I used a fight her attempts to trim my toes and keep them not only presentable but healthy. I hear and now publicly apologize to DD for being such an obstructionist to her efforts. I am now, in an effort to practice adult good health decisions, seeing a podiatrist every six weeks to the nail trim. Today was my follow-up to a trim six weeks ago. I really did not anticipate any problems getting to my appointment after all the podiatrist is just 40 blocks south of my apartment complex. Taylorsville. I figured I would just go to the intersection cross the street to my bus stop and go. I don't know what I was thinking really. I saw the snow yesterday. I also knowledge of the fact that I saw the snow last night coming down as I went to bed but I did not think snow would be an issue for me this morning making my 8 AM appointment.

I actually started going to bed early last night, I did not make it, so that I can be sure to be up early to catch the right bus to get me to my 8 o'clock. I was kind of surprised at how well everything went this morning getting up, dressing even making breakfast. Yesterday during the storm I made sure that the guys who are dozing our parking area pay special attention to the sidewalk that leads to the gate to the sidewalk which surround the building. They did a good job but they stopped at the property line. I cannot fault them for working to the letter of the law but she would've appreciated a bit more spiritual interpretation of that snow removal. I wish they could have cleaned the past to the bus area itself. This morning when I got to the end of the gate I met a three or 4 inch wall of snow just on the other side of the property line and even more snow up and down the sidewalks and especially the bus stop. I don't know what I was thinking because I knew there is no way that once I got into the snow I would stop or be stopped by the snow itself. Sure enough about 6:45 AM I was up to my axles and snow and I wasn't moving anywhere.

I stayed in that exact spot for the next 15 to 20 minutes trying to flag down somebody someone who could help me get back on to the sidewalk or the walkway back to my apartment complex. It was still quite dark and the snow was still coming down slightly. It seems the harder I waved trying to get people's attention to let them know I needed help the happier they were the wave back. I can't imagine them thinking I was one of those bizarre wheelchair people that sits on the side on the Street waving tothe people trying to bring happiness in their lives. I was not panicking because I knew that sooner or later I would find someone – – in fact I even corralled a high school student who was lumbering by and asked if he would stop at the fire department and send someone down to assist me. The student assured me he would advise the fire department which was two blocks down and on the weight was high school. No one ever showed up but that's okay, they may have, because finally three blokes came walking up and asked how they could help and soon I was happily traveling the walkway back to the apartments to my warm apartment.

I spent the rest of the day trying to find a way to get my bus stop clear of snow. I did speak with one representative from Utah transit Authority collecting wealth be able to bring about some assistance to clean out my bus stop tomorrow. I also need to contact the city of the state of the county where is responsible for the sidewalk next to our building and the Park adjacent to our property to see who can remove snow from that long stretch of sidewalk. I don't imagine this is going to be a quick fix but I need something done by Thursday, day after tomorrow, when I have to go be part of Next Chapter book club. I am just thankful that is 20 February and that this winter is almost over as opposed to it being October and the snow season just beginning. Overall it's been a pretty nice winter season as far as snow and the lack of it goes.

No comments: