Monday, February 26, 2018

Mr. Irresponsible



I started wearing glasses probably when I was about seven. At that point in time I wore glasses minimal just when I was in class or reading. I think having glasses was my really first experience with true responsibility and what I remember most I didn't do too well in his department. There wass a giant field, a 40 acre field between our home in the main road and Boise Avenue the main artery that went in town. The surface of this 40 acres change from year to year. Mostly the service was qualifies, similar to a rough lawn. This texture was from alfalfa when old man Johnson ran hay. Other years the planned corn, the corn years left row upon row where the corn had stood.

I wore my glasses and had a cool little pouch which fit on to my belt. I thought the pouch was cool because there's nothing else better I can say. After all, glasses or glasses and four eyes are four eyes. Actually, nobody really made fun of me, I just felt persecuted for having to have corrected vision. As I said, 40 acres stood between us and the main road and every morning I had to cross that field or go the long way following the road up to the corner that up to the main road cut across the field was much faster. So every morning, I would fly out the front door crawl under the fence and tear across across Johnson's fields. Then in the afternoon I came home the same way. Crossing the field when it was alfalfa was much simpler than negotiating deferrals and Johnson had planted corn. It didn't matter what was planted it seemed like once a year crossing the field I would lose my glasses. Either the whole pouch somehow fell off my belt or the pouch was not secured and the glasses popped out. I would be devastated. I have to praise my parents for not thrashing me present must've cost a bundle in those days in our family. I always retrace my steps moaning and groaning and sometimes even crying and always praying (I really was a believer in prayer or maybe just superstitious behavior, I would try anything.) Sometimes I actually found the glasses but more often than not they were never seen again.

Today, I have to wear my glasses all the time I am conscious. I accept I am at that point in my life where I'm always looking up from my glasses so I can read things up close. My glasses are prescription of course and I have prisms, the invisible kind. Thank goodness I never lose my glasses now. Now, I'm just irresponsible and still the destroyer. Today, I had tilted my chair back to ease the pain off my butt, I had my glasses riding on my forehead. I've had this set of glasses about a year now little over a year and they're beginning to stretch out meaning the glasses don't stay on my four head like I wish they did. Invariably when I am tilted back the glasses will slide off my head in her onto my lap or they'll fall under the floor. Today, the glasses fell onto the floor. I can't remember if I got a phone call or what but something distracted me. I forgot everything and tended to whatever was taking my attention and sure enough when I went to find my glasses what I found was the remains. One Temple was completely destroyed the other was hanging on by just a screw. I was able to twist the remaining Temple somewhat in the place to where the glasses well enough to balance them on my nose I'm going to have to replace the glasses, thank goodness I have my backup pair of the glasses I wore before these. I got the broken pair from Costco so the next day or so I plan to make a trip over there and see how long it will take to replace the frames. The lenses are still good I just need frames and one of those nifty replacement policies.

No comments: