Friday, February 23, 2018

Easter Seals – – Idaho

click for early video of Easter Seals – – Idaho

More snow fell today. Fortunately for me I had no appointments to consider nothing and no reason to go outside the premises of my apartment complex. Any snow removal which has been accomplished yesterday now is all in vain when the days new snowfall. A good day to hang out and do some research. Couple days ago I reached out for an old friend of mine. You and I have known each other for about 50 years. He has cerebral palsy and you know I have spinal cord injury and we become old man which is really hard to fathom. Anyway, I want to follow up with Henry for some time, his name is Henry we met at Camp Easter Seals which I did a fairly good job of describing in a posting about nine years ago. Every couple of years I get an itch to develop Some sort of document or media representation of that period of my life. And let me be specific and saying not necessarily of my life of all the campers lives who went through time at Easter Seals. As much as I may have just been this place in my 2009 posting the truth is I loved my time at this place. I'm infected now with the desire to make contact with other folks from that same period of my life. In my research of this facility I'm shocked that there is not more information available. Thus far I've been able to find one video which is rather crude but identifies the camp and its reason for being.

Camp Easter Seals which became camp Roger C. Larson and which is now a camp for the Coeur d'Alene Indian tribe was run and maintained by Washington State University or WSU. Staffed by faculty and health sciences students mainly occupational and vocational therapy students. I know that WSU has the historical records of this facility and staff who attended for the years. They probably also have a treasure trove of images taking over that time. I think for the next couple months or whatever I'm going to start making inroads to see if I can get a hold of some of those images to document if nothing else my time at this facility. My friend Henry spent a lot more time at this facility than I do with years. I think I only went there twice over the summers. I'm sure my friend as many more contacts that can shed more light on this history.

In my own personal research I found two images of Henry and myself taken and I believe in 1968. These images were taken on a path from our cabin (72nd K cabin) to the docks where we swam every day. I have included with this post the video an gives a good representation of camp and some of the activities which we participated in. Heartbreaking, for me, the video does not show as much of the buildings as I would've liked but does a good job of showing some of the activities. I apologize for the video being as crude as but keep please in mind, this video was made in 1962. I just wish the audio was present but you get what you get.

My buddy Henry

Me (1968

No comments: