Sunday, February 18, 2018

Sugar Sugar


In the spring of 1969 I was well into my third year of life with a disability. I had been to rehab and had been back to the house, spent a year in North Carolina with my brother and sister-in-law to you my parents a break and I was back going to school. I had actually taken home economics as one of my electives for either my junior or senior year electives. Three of the four girls who who sat at my table volunteered on weekends at the state school and hospital 30 miles west of Boise. Idaho STATE School and Hospital was a huge facility housing 600 or so folks with developmental disabilities some very severe. I was a very opportunistic teenager in fact the very reason I was in home economics was because I figured out home economics space was a good way to meet girls. Taking this opportunism a step further I talked the girls into giving me a ride over to the hospital so I can see what it was all about in the hopes of volunteering myself.

Soon I was going over every Saturday. My workstation at the facility was in the crib ward in the main hospital. Crib ward as the name denotes was a portion of the hospital that served the most severely involved residents. We refer to these folks as kids even though most of them were much older than I. They were manifestations of the worst birth defects imaginable. The kind of things I've seen only in books in the parts of the library that were off-limits to most folks. There were a number of kids with hydrocephalus, heads as huge as watermelons. There were other folks could have got jobs working at the Circus in the sideshow. I was kind of freaked at first but soon grew to love the kids. My job was to feed these guys. I usually worked from early afternoon till just after dinner. I basically fed puréed food these guys. I talked to them even though there was no proof that even heard sometimes they would track by voice but basically turned her head and neck touched her cheek with a spoonful of food. It was a messy ordeal but I grew to enjoy the process.

The state school was housed on a huge campus. The buildings were ancient, huge hundreds of residents to a building. In the center of the campus wasan acquainted little building called the canteen, I wish I had images of the canteen. It's very much reminded me of an old drugstore cafeteria. The higher functioning folks on campus hung out at the canteen. The canteen was the campus hangout. I was amazed at the social structure that existed at the canteen. In the canteen of course there was a jukebox in the season that I was there sugar sugar played constantly. There was a number one son on campus it was the Archie's Sugar Sugar. I usually packed lunch and get something to drink at the canteen but you could get hot sandwiches (premade delights thrown into a microwave and nuked). They also had an impressive selection of candy offerings.

I ended up volunteering at state hospital for about a year, later I did a internship there in behavior modification. That is a whole another post. I totally enjoyed my time at state hospital, my time there truly influenced the rest of my vocational life. I met incredible people residents and professional staff alike I always said you can't tell the players start a program and anywhere that is true it was at state hospital.


No comments: