Thursday, April 29, 2021

Death Duty


Another death! Seriously not making this up and I'm not looking for sympathy but truly another person very close to me and my family has passed away yesterday! What is this death season I seem to be in the middle of? People who know me are dropping like flies all around me. Therefore I must warn all of you people who know me you better stand back – – don't come to close. Not like I'm being cursed I just think I'm in the middle of a probability dust storm or PDS.


My sister-in-law, Jean a very fine woman that I've known for at least 50 years almost 60 passed away yesterday. Her passing was not a surprise in fact I'd kind of thoughts she would've gone a lot earlier but she's hung on maybe she was waiting just for Covid lighten up and the nice days of spring. One thing I found out recently is that funerals are happening again not just the zoom funeral but live funerals where there's actually a service, a viewing and that kind of thing. The only mandate I saw in the obituary for my friend who passed last week was that individuals are required to wear masks during the service at the mortuary. I doubt they would be enforced at the graveside service. I don't know about the get together after the event where they serve the funeral potatoes. I don't know if that's going to happen. I have not yet heard any of the events that are to take place regarding my sisters funeral. I anticipate will be some kind of a gathering of family members who can make it to support my brother through this event. That means there's going to be dinners I don't know where like at his house or at one of the restaurants we tend to go to during family reunions – – sad as this is it is still a bit of a family reunion. Or if things go as usual funerals go there will be a family gathering one way or the other. I don't know how I will be able to take part in any of these events since I no longer have a vehicle. Nobody else's vehicle to transport of wheelchair such as mine. Hopefully, if there is a restaurant involved it will be close to a bus line. If they have the funeral service at her ward house I should be able to get their by bus without much effort. I don't think I'll be able to make any of the home visits decisions if there's any family functions at the house.


Of interest , Politically our family is quite diverse I found out for the last couple elections. There's a strong conservative political element which to me is kind of spooky, I'm not sure how conversations might go. Already, I've been contacted by one family member as to what Utah's position was on the wearing of masks in public i.e. at the funeral. I relayed the information I had learned from my friends obituary and my brother just sort of indicated that he didn't understand why we had to wear a mask after being inoculated twice with the vaccine. This was an oral question it was a statement as to the control of government over individuals. I saw the essay possible red flag of things to come. I am sort of sensing I may not have a lot of contact with the family ever been the funeral itself. The after events may be a nonissue as far as accessibility goes. We'll see. I'm still stressing if I am going to wear long pants or shorts to the service if there is a service. I will probably cave and put on a pair of long pants – – the first time in years – – but my sister-in-law's worth it. If I wear a pair of my long pants, the pants well cover up my shoes and I should be okay with just a shoe polish but it would be a good excuse to invest in another pair shoes. Such decisions…


No comments: