Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Magnetic Magic

 



Magnets fascinate me, we always have. When my first exposures to magnets being used for practical purpose, at least for me a practical purpose was one Christmas probably around 1958 or 1959 and did my Christmas stocking was one of those faces enclosed in plastic and at the bottom is a bunch of metal filings and then on the side of the image is a magnet. And you can use the magnet to drag the metal filings around the bald image giving that image “hair”. A very basic toy but intrigued me as to the power of the magnet. Then of course my brother showed me the whole thing about how magnets repel each other more fascination. I often saw ads for magnets in the back of science magazines or catalogs I used to get and wondered what it would be like to have that many magnets.. About a year ago I actually did a search for magnets on the Internet – – I must been board or something – – found a number of interesting options and sent for magnetic hooks small hooks with magnetic base that he twisted the hook into. I don't know I think it cost me may be $15 for about 40 pieces. I of course lost them immediately after putting five or six or 10 together which I still have anchored on different pieces of metal around the apartment. I really like them the really fun. I ordered another 40 a couple weeks ago and have been messing around with them ever since.


The image above is the image of a beat up dream catcher that I've had for a number of years. I feel compelled to underline the fact that I don't believe a dream catchers… Or do I? At least, a couple years ago when I got this dream catcher I did not believe but just for the fun of it and to please the person who gave me the item, in case they ever wanted to see if I still had the peace, I had Dianne hang the dream catcher over my bed – – just as a lark. And I don't know if it is just placebo or maybe a little magic but I seem to be sleeping a lot better as well as dreaming more than I did. Like I said there could be all placebo wanting to believe so much so that I am fact started dreaming or at least remembering dreams I've had. Couple months ago I don't know how but the dream catcher fell from its perch, where a hung from by trapeze bar. Believe it or not I began having issues with dreams and not really sleeping through the night I know that's strange but it's true. Sadly, I just didn't have what it took to tie the dream catcher by myself on the trapeze bar. Then I got the bag. It took me a number of days to remember to put a magnet close enough on my nightstand so that I would be reminded to install the magnet on the top bar and then hangs the dream catcher from the hook. I'm totally amazed at how well the hook has worked. The dream catcher had fallen under the bed and had stayed there for some time before I fished it out with one of my hooks but was somewhat dismayed to see the condition of the relic. I wanted to believe so I took what was left of the dream catcher. The webbing seem to be in place what seemed to have the most trauma was the feathers and there were a significant amount so I figured what the hell let's give it a shot and I reached up and hung the dream catcher from the hook and is working ever since. It seems my dreams are richer and I'm remembering them much better. I don't know if it's really happening but I want to believe sometimes that is enough…

No comments: