Friday, April 16, 2021

Neighbors

 



It's a cold and blustery night along the Wasatch front this April evening. The weather is been unsettled all week long it's nice to have a Friday night to sit at my computer with my heater raging on full blast making me feel comfortable this funny spring evening. It actually tried the snow a little bit this morning but that's okay it's the change.


It's not that I'm a nice guy, though I've been accused by professionals of being so (I know of at least one posting to this blog or talk about the department chair of the psych department I took my degree and indicating such). But I like to help for I can especially if it's something that might make a difference. When the few times I went outside today I think just a test the atmosphere because for a while it looked pretty nice outside while I was doing my hand bike. While I was out I noticed my upstairs neighbor Stephen (again on individual that I've posted a couple times about who is in the apartment directly above mine in ancient surgical nurse from Washington state area). Working at getting his manual wheelchair into his vehicle. Stephen is a tall drink of water and I worry about him ambulating. I know that he drives, Stephen has an older vehicle, like many of the folks here, they their vehicles are their last vestige of independence. Today Stephen was going to the market. I stopped to see if you need any help load in his chair into the car. As I watch Stephen struggle with his wheelchair I couldn't help but be reminded of so many times when I used a manual wheelchair and drove my two door vehicles how tired I would be by the end of the day. I remember how much I appreciated when somebody would stop as I was struggling to get the chair in the backseat and kindly just lifted in easy as pie. I don't know what I can do or if I could do anything to assist Stephen in putting his chair in the backseat or for that matter helping him carry his purchased items from his vehicle to his apartment . Before the driveway I let them know that he should stop by my door when he gets home and I would help carry the materials up to his unit. I then completely forgot about the whole situation until a few minutes ago when I was visiting with Dianne on the Internet and I see Steve past my window and the little black car..


I don't know how much I am threatening Stephen when I try to assist. I know it's important to show that you are independent and that you don't need help but sometimes we do need help. Steve and I worry that he might topple at any moment I really do. He seems frail but driven and I understand that. I hope I don't frustrate him I'm sure he thinks I'm like Louis Tully played by Rick Moranisfrom Ghostbusters. I just want to know that there's some help to get your stuff in to the apartments on a cold and blustery spring Friday night…

No comments: