Saturday, April 03, 2021

Making Memories



What is it about old age that makes a person start making significant changes in their life? Is it the realization that time is literally running out and if you're going to do something you'd better do it now or you're going to be way out of luck. I think I'm going through one of these kind of end-of-life episodes. A winding up of things such as many bases as I can which I think are important. My letter writing campaign is a pretty good example but that's not necessarily new behavior because of been writing letters for quite some time. I mean really writing letters like monthly and sometimes weekly. But now I'm venturing into new territory when trying to build personal contact with my grandkids, or I can – – not just letters but spending one to one time with these people. I want to know them but I also want them to know me. Of course, I'm limited by territory. The poor grandkids who live in this geographical area course are going to be courted more than the others who live in other states and since I can't really travel that limits that capability unless of course something major happens. I don't perceive that so far way kids get a lot more letters.


I had lunch with Jasmine today, Jasmine is my second oldest granddaughter and she lives here in Salt Lake actually out in the West Jordan area. She's 15 has started a real job and is involved in high school as usual and many side projects like Cheer which is sort of a drill team type of thing for her school. Having Jasmine's very impressive and I believe she will do well. She is just finishing spring break at the end of this week and so we been trying to get together at some point all week long. We've been utilizing our cell phones and texting back and forth. I am an old guy I like to think I was more, with it, but truth be known I don't really check by cell phone as often as I should four new messages. I've just come to the realization that allow the melodic sounds myself seems to throw out throughout the day is actually acknowledgments of incoming texts but then I'm confused as to where the messaging text lives. One time we could've met but I didn't see the text soon enough the same happened with her with one of the times that I sent over but finally yesterday we got some good communication and kind of settled on today. I was really begin to think that I was being dodged, I can appreciate dodging up persistent grandparent but was relieved when he finally was able to get together establish a time to meet. High noon and from Harman's grocery store.


I got to Harman's a little early so I could check out some items I've been meaning to purchase that so far Harman's was the only vendor like the A2 milk I've been searching for. But I was really focused on meeting my granddaughter and there she was right at 12 walking across the parking lot what a fun site. We chose Café Rio. As I told her I didn't mind so much where we ate as much as time together that was the important part. I knew that Mark Anthony, Jasmine's father, like Café Rio so I knew that Jasmine probably did too and she did and we did Café Rio. I was a little surprised because I ate all of my Asada and rice and beans. We talked and laughed and I think reinforced our bond and relationship. I was pleased to find a new way to enjoy this bubble of energy who flies across the map at gymnastics meets and in dance competition. I hope to get to know Jasmine more in the time we have left. Of course expect to go first and that's okay though had my run. I just hope our relationship will be one she smiles on long after my sunsets…


No comments: