Wednesday, April 21, 2021

What Me Worry?

 



I don't know if it's like this everywhere but it sure is like this here at the apartments. After going about your day in your apartment maybe folding clothes, washing dishes are writing at the computer and also to hear knock on the door. And I always knee-jerk reaction scream “come in”! I figure the person knows me enough not to my door the welcome to come in. Of course that does not necessarily mean anything at a senior living facility. I'm amazed constantly how many hearing age or lost during today's time. Fortunately most of the hearing aid show up one way or the other sooner or later but since I don't want to leave a neighbor standing out by my door I end up wandering over to the door opened up to find not a person at all the boxes from either Amazon, or some other freight company. Yesterday there were two items one was a large box that I knew held 180 catheters (it's my monthly quota). I'm in no hurry to drag the box in but there's also a smaller package that looks like a book which really perplexed me because I currently have all the books that I've ordered the last couple weeks. But, since I'm in the middle of either letters are a blog update I figure they can stay out by the door. Of course the drivers long gone – – he liked the pizza delivery guy – – loves to knock and run before you have a chance to interact. I'm sure some variant of saving me from Covid so I guess I appreciate the interruption of my day. Still it would be nice – – and sometimes they do it – – notify me via Facebook or Insta gram that they will soon be outside my door which would still be the same result of me leaving the Packages there Until I'm good and ready to retrieve them. I just get back to writing and here knock knock knock and what to give valuable come in and there's no answer and then I hear “Mr.” “Mr.” “Mr.” it's Juanita one of the non-English-speaking seniors who live here. She's worried that something will happen to my boxes and wants them in right away. I open the door and that's exactly who it is and that's exactly what she wants and so I sigh and say “In, in” and make sweeping gestures with my arm toward the inside of the apartment and she complies happily. She's done a good deed for the day I can't take that away from her.


Since I've been disturbed already I decided I'll check out the Amazon package – – the catheters can wait I still have a box of the last shipment – – I'm surprised to see the live one of my best friends Dennis – – the one still alive – – he has sent me a package. Now, this is something different and new to my day. I pull out my trusty long handled dust pan scoop up the package put it on the table and grabbed the shares and clipped the top open into my basement it's a giant copy of Mad Magazine actually the compilation of 40 or 50 years of Madcap magazines Boiled down to a 200 page slick magazine format full of everything Mad! I love mad. I think I was first exposed to Mad Magazine in 1958. I think I was exploring my brothers trailer outside our house and found a copy of Mad Magazine behind his bed. From then on I was totally involved in the magazine. There is so much art and parody (of course I did not know what what parody/sarcasm meant them I was about seven or eight) but I recognize something intriguingly different. Like how they would take a movie and change it all around to where it was still the movie but now it was funny. In this volume therefore five movies to enjoy. There's art great artists at least I think so doing caricatures to go along with the sarcasm. There's the mad fold in which I think is a great idea. A great parody of the Playboy foldout. I love this magazine. There's enough material in this magazine specially in the corners and up and down the edges of the magazine that you don't see it first but look at later on new notice this are you notice that it's not just a day of reading it's a week, month maybe a year if you do it right. I needed this today. Remembered by one of my oldest friends with a real gift about usingThanks brother Dennis… “What, me worry”

No comments: