Friday, April 09, 2021

Eat Your Vegetables, Dammit!

 



I've written about “sharing shelf” before. Remember, it's that place in my building where things appear that are free to residents at our apartment complex. It's not just stuff from other people here though that is part of the sharing shelf but it's also repository from a couple agencies are programs like churches to see if there job to provide food (as Christ did) I. E.,bread for the poorly benighted which many of the old folks fall into. This food also comes directly from the food bank and now are talking some relative quality stuff though you have to be on your toes and look at the expiration dates. Like I rarely take any of the dairy products just because they never show up until they have to be taken off the shelves selective you get a gallon of milk your lucky last three days before starts tasting funky. However that's not so bad with yogurts or cottage cheese, sour cream and that kind of stuff. That's a deal that stuff is bad by the general nature but nice to have access to. Except for I noticed the bunch of coffee yogurt and I tried one of those new is pretty bad. Actually, it's really only your left on earth I could tolerate the yogurt. Plus on certain days on the food bank dump there's been fresh strawberries just a little bit distressed, lots of apples, bags of onions literally bags of onions and always piles of bread sometimes better piles of others. So much materials now back the sharing shelf itself is way too small and too tables of been set up (more on the actual bread day from the Christians when they dump off lots of day old bakery materials but some of it pretty darn good). So, besides the hordes of cans which are beans, diced tomatoes, green beans, black beans, garbanzo beans lots of beings. Bags and potatoes. Just all kinds of things show up.


I get a little frustrated because I end up packing stuff back to the apartment and never have time to eat the materials or realize that the materials I have chosen his way to caloric for me. So I have all kinds of things stacking up. This is particularly true of things I grab that are like “fresh” vegetables. The last couple of weeks they've had these great packages of lettuce romaine lettuce oblong skinny kind pack three dual package. I promise myself each time I grab one go to have salads. I'm going to be so healthy because of the salads and then it's like I'm too frightened to open up the package and the three cute little Romain lettuces perish turning into gelatinous muck in the vegetable drawer of my refrigerator and I end up hating myself thinking some starving kid on the west side had to go to bed without a salad because I took it. So, Tuesday when I scarfed another three Romaine lettuce sack I committed myself to eat some lettuce so that's what I been doing this week. Visual proof is above that's the first Romaine lettuce bunch which I've eaten like apples this week. I would like to dress it up like a real solid but I've never gotten that point it's been pretty busy week. Just so you know I did finish that stock of lettuce and I'm going to start the next one tomorrow. My goal is to eat all of them in that package and slowly increase my fresh vegetable intake of the stock of Romaine is a terrible thing to lose…

No comments: