Friday, February 09, 2024

Burgers and scammers

I was jolted awake this morning when I checked my emails and saw there was a message from somebody named Desi who was thanking me for subscribing for another year of computer protection- which I did not do- - which is going to cost me $629 or something like that! Needless to say I was totally freaked out. Once I got up and got my bathroom duties taken care of I started trying to figure things out. There was a weird phone number on the bottom of the email for questions which I called and of course got some barely English-speaking person on the other side of the planet it was adamant that I get to a keyboard of a computer somewhere so I could type in my information and then they could stop the process. Lucky for me I was insistent that I was too paralyzed to do such a thing and that they should just take care of it or I need to talk to somebody else which the little guy told me that if I waited for an hour somebody would call back and I would be at a computer somewhere that I can take care of the information. In the meantime I share this information with Melissa who indicated of course that's a scam and that as soon as I type the information into the computer it would Rob the rest of the stuff in my account. This totally made sense. I called my credit union and hopefully they're on the watch to see any weird things going on in my account particularly in respect to computer protection subscriptions. I don't know why I hadn't figured that out maybe I was just too freaked out and Melissa grounded me and brought back the reality of what was happening. I've been checking into my account off and on all day nothing's happened hopefully that's the end of it but I still feel kind of spooky about the whole ordeal.


It's Friday night and yesterday somebody from the bakery dropped off a bunch of bread products on the giveaway Shelf and I grabbed some hamburger buns. I still have a bunch of hamburger patties from the Omaha Steak Company which I figured I'll make three hamburgers tonight and that'll get me through most of the weekend. I threw away half of my roast that I purchased a couple weeks ago I didn't eat it quick enough and now I had to throw a lot away because it smelled bad. Kind of broke my heart but certainly is a lesson maybe I don't need to be buying roasts or maybe I should start purchasing smaller roasts. Anyway my apartment smells delightful three wonderful hamburger patties cooked just right placed on hamburger buns coated with ketchup and mustard and then tossed into the refrigerator to be dying down sometime this weekend. Still plan to cook if I get a chance but it's nice to have a lot of the cooking done already in case I don't get a chance

No comments: