Thursday, February 08, 2024

Perfect lenses

 



It's board meeting today for the Independent Living Center on which I am one of the board members and fortunately today it will be a zoom meeting. The weather continues to be cold and wet outside making the trip into the center a bit harrowing at best. I think I'm just getting soft in the old days I wouldn't have bothered me at all but now I'm more than happy to be able to set up my cell phone turn on the camera and then just zoom into the meeting all from my kitchen. Seriously how easy is that? I'm wearing my new glasses by the way they came in today. This is most fortunate that the glasses came in because during the morning I ran over my old glasses once again and this time I broke the screw in the temple that holds the lenses in place making it almost impossible to have both lenses in. As I said fortunately I got a email this morning indicating that the organization which provides these low cost glasses for people with disabilities, seniors and whoever else seems to be in need will be in today and my appointment is for 1:00 p.m. when they will do the fitting and adjusting of my new lenses and frame. I included an image of these glasses in today's post. It is so nice to have totally clear lenses for however short period of time that that might be. In fact since I've gotten custody of these lenses I've dropped my glasses once and minimally damage the lenses since of course the glass is lit lens side down. I just have to accept the fact that I will have these lenses for just a short time in their perfect state and that little by little the lens as well be damaged and eventually look pathetic as my other lenses have. Interesting however is that when I came in with just the one lens glasses the little mechanic had me go back to my apartment and get the Rogue lens which she fastened into the old frames with a new screw and now I have a great set of backup lenses! Things don't get better than that granted those lenses are obscured seriously making watching anything through the lenses somewhat challenging but at least it's something that feels natural to me and would get me by. I thought the most interesting thing happened when I grabbed my glasses and then went through the interview process where they take pictures of me wearing my new lenses then asked me all kinds of historical information biographical information about how much I'm going to appreciate this gift from this agency that provides frames at a significantly marked down price for people who need them. I was more than happy to comply and if they only knew how much I enjoyed the exhibitionism at being interviewed and photographed they would have stepped back put on rubber gloves and quietly dropped my application into the Dustbin…

No comments: