Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Its Not About NumberS


When I first started this blog I made a point to say I did nor care about how many people were reading this blog. I went out of my way to stress this fact because the blog , to me , a way that I could marshal myself to write a few hundred words everyday. My only real goal was to force myself to write, to get in the habit of writing and stay in the habit of writing.

So day in and day out I have labored to craft at least 500 words about what I am feeling that day. Some days I have done less the 500 words and other days I have written more and there has been days when I have not written any words at all. I cannot or should not get caught up in “how many” people are “tuning” into my blog I mean, seriously a good day for this website is ten hits and most of those from my family…yeah Shelly, Mark, Charlie, Bridget , James or Brx etc. Sometime Kim from UILC or Chuck from CSC. I am always surprised when someone leaves a comment and really surprised if the comment comes from someone blog surfing and hitting my blog and reading and liking the blog enough to leave a comment. I mean there are Maximum bloggers out there like Dr. Michelle Au’s famous The Underweardrawer the good doctor literally gets thousands of hits each day.

So why was I so weirded out this last week when the link to my “Site Meter” account seemed to disappear from my blog. I tried to trace down where it went. No luck. I even tried to find the website I got the software from but I could not get them to come up either. I finally shrugged my shoulders and decided to find another counter—there are probably thousands of web counters and for the most part all free. Then I got all anxious and frustrated because I could not load the “script” correctly. I tied a couple of times but did not seem to make the icon stick. Eventually, I noticed , that indeed, I had linked the icon to the page and it was beginning to count hits to the blog! But I really did not care—it’s not about the numbers. The new blog counter was OK, the counter is free, give pretty good stats and lets me feel read…but the new blog counter called “Blog Counter” us just not “Site Meter” does not delivery the warm number like “Site Meter”. But really I don’t care.

This morning I was delighted to see the “Site meter” link at the bottom of my page where it usually is. It seems to have found it’s way back to my page after I authored 500 words about the counter disappearing. I have noticed, however, it’s not there now.So, knowing that the counter is there… sometimes, is enough. It really does not matter how many people are reading my words that I write each day. Because I write for myself…PSYCH!! I am addicted to the numbers!!! I love it when my total number of hits is increased by even one person. I check three or four times a day I send people, I hardly know, emails just on the chance they will visit the blog and up my numbers. So there just how shallow am I ?

No comments: