Monday, May 01, 2006

A White Shirt and Yesterdays Non-Post

I wore my white shirt today.  A challenge for some one like me,not only does wearing a white shirt make me look  as big as a house. But trying to keep the garment clean will be a full time job as well.  I may see if there is a bib I can wear during lunch if I eat anything messy.  I  wore the shirt to show solidarity with the striking immigrant workers.  I did not have a blue ribbon so I wore dark blue slacks. I heard  on the news last night and this morning there is to be a number of demonstrations and protests downtown.  I toyed with the idea of attending of the protests to be held this afternoon at  City and County building.  There should be a good turn out and would be fun but I have decided against participating since I will taking off a couple of days this week and next week on my return form GA.  I am surprised I am the only one in my office who acted in solidarity.  Even the woman who is gay—she is really gung ho on this kind of stuff.  Then there is my boss who is a relatively new PhD in social work.  She really is quite the bleeding heart—and she is married to a fellow who is Hispanic/native American.  My office partner is a little Latino and seems almost seems violently against and support for the immigrant faction. I was kinda a hoping she would give us the time off to attend or at least willing to let us go if we had the vacation time.

  I have decided to take Wednesday and Thursday this week off to prepare for my trip—especially with Dianne gone.  I would have taken Friday off too but CC , my office mate, had already scheduled to  take the time. This is OK. I can do whatever preparation for my trip on the two days scheduled and on Saturday.  Bridget indicated she would come over if I needed to wash some clothes of needed any help with packing.  I am taking just one huge leather bag that I can carry on my power wheelchair, I   also need to pack my battery charger, a couple of hooks a length of cord and extra bungee cords. If I am lucky I can get a manual wheelchair to use from either the IL or a durable medical vender.  I am now feeling fairly confident about this trip. I have calls out regarding my seating in the aircraft.  My disability was not taken into consideration when Marsha booked the flight. She is still pretty new to the wonderful world of disability.

I did not post yesterday…I was just too tired to write. Dianne flew out of Salt Lake at 6:30 so that meant I needed to drop her off at the air terminal, which meant that I had to be up 4:00 am,  or so to leave in time.  We did this with no issues. But I never went back to bed when I got back to the house. I just cannot get back to sleep once I have woke. So I ended up just hanging round in a daze all day. I spent the day working on the computer and burning CD-Roms.  Sort of fun al things considered.  Dianne did call later in the day.  She was stranded in Chicago!  Her flight from Chicago to Baton Rouge had been canceled: twice!.   Delta was putting her up at a Marriott in Chi-town and hopefully she will be on her way this today. She does a have a window of a day or so before her ship leaves.  I assume she will make it ok.

No comments: