Friday, April 27, 2007

Beware the Cakes

The boss could not sleep last night and the boss cannot sleep she gets up and writes emails. She can do that from home by accessing the State Groupwise and linking into the stat server. So on one of these early “boss morning” I come to work with new “boss emails” which usually translates into more work one way or the other.

This morning I got an email indicating the way the boss wants me to prepare for the annual evaluation coming up in a month or two. So I have this exercise where I must go through all the questions of the Evaluation and answer the questions with an example of how I may or may not have met last year’s stated( and signed) goals. The boss has included her current evaluation she has assembled for the Board of Directors of her performance plan. The boss really got into it with red inked responses and everything. At first glance this seemed like a formidable assignment but if I keep focused I should be able to chew through the document by next week.

The boss before this boss, Alexa, when she could not sleep would cook. Alexa often would come to work with banana breads, cookies and cakes. There was a time when she was bringing in baked goods almost every day. With the boss we have now it’s always more work one way or another. I have to admit even if this approach is bit threatening I tend to get more work accomplished then when we were getting cookies.

I’m doing grants this weekend. I know what a drag but I don’t have to do all of them this weekend. I have a couple more weekends before our meeting-still jus the fact that I HAVE TO read grants sort of vexes me. But maybe this year I’ll have some interesting ones or maybe not—either way have a great weekend. Mark out!


No comments: