Sunday, April 15, 2007

The Time Draws Nigh

Today is Tax day or actually tomorrow is since Tax day this year falls on the Sabbath and no good God fearing American would even consider breaking the Holy day , even in time of war, to get their returns in on the fiftheenth. So, yesterday afternoon Dianne realized we needed to pick up another “schedule something form” with the apporiate envelope. I had not really been doing anything all day but hanging round in case Dianne needed anything in the preparation process I could get what ever she might need. So we both loaded the van to go get another copy of Form 1040. We zoomed off to our library in Murray and of course nothing, so we next went down to the library at 3100 South and West Temple again nothing so on out way to downtown. We went all the way to the “big” post office on Second South, if anyone should have the Schedules this place should, and they did not. The only other place to consider was the airport post office the post office that never sleeps, the post office which is open 24/7 365 days of the year. We, however, aborted this plan since we were both tired and hungry at this point in time. We will just mail our return in a plain white envelop. We decided to reward our diligence in searching for Form 1040 with dinner out and since we were already downtown we decided to go to our favorite restaurant The Shang Hi.
It was almost 9:30 pm by the time we got to the Shang Hi the time most Salt Lake business’ are closing but the Shang Hi looked as if they were still busy with their normal clientel of university students, veggies and Earth Firsters. Dianne Was pleased that many of the people working were people we have come to know and enjoy. These folks are quite bright and always acknowledge as long lost friends. I really don’t care but have to admit them making a fuss over us makes me feel good. What a great marketing tool. Then the hostess started making a big del at how great it was to see me again so soon like I had been in there yesterday…and I hand not. Of course Dianne looks at me weird like why was I coming to our special place with out her and I am all the sudden becoming defensive. I am once again feeling like I have been dropped right in the middle of a Hitchcock movie.
This confusion of mistaken identity has plagued me a number of times in this city. I go into a restaurant and all of the sudden I am treated as a long lost friend. These people are genuinely glad to see me and have missed me and I barely remember them if I know them at all. There must be a double of me somewhere lurking in this town. It is too hard or me to believe though, another overweight old guy whom uses a power wheelchair just like mine for mobility. I think I would have run into such a person if indeed such a person actually did exist. But I have not. I think that people who know me or who desire to know me or so overwhelmed by my presence when I do enter their lives they make up there alternate realities/fantasies so they can stand the meeting.
I hope you did not really believe the preceding. It was fun to write though. So get your taxes done and mailed the time draws short.

No comments: