Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Everthing's Relative


Everything is relative, they say, and the cold has returned the Wasatch Front forcing me to dig out my red jacket and again dress like winter. The front came in last evening as I was watching a rerun of House . Gusting winds and frozen water served as hail blasted our windows and made my dog cringe and yelp with fear. At 24 months Ginger has had limited experience atmospheric events making things thump and rattle by themselves out side the door to her world. Snow fell during the night but not at my house. I saw a new dusting of snow on the near by mountains enough that I could sense the cold air which surrounded me as I left the house this morning for the train. The temperature was in the mid thirties, above freezing and I was wrapped in the red jacket Dianne had gotten me for my birthday. I even had my hood up and on and the jacket zipped up to my nose.

Even though the temperature was in the mid 30’s and I felt as cold and challenged as if the temps were “0” or there about. All week I have been wearing this little woolen like rag I call Black Diamond. Black Diamond is like a light pull over with a zip up front. I put the jacket over my head and wrap the arms round my shoulders, like hood, and the little garment does pretty good. But even with the temps 44 degrees when I left the house the Black Diamond was not enough. I knew I was going to need more thins morning. Because a couple of weeks ago the temperatures had actually been in the 70’s: balmy wonderful 70 degrees, no need for a jacket of any kind even with wind. You see I had been there, the good temperature. And the week before when I had experienced the Springs first 45 and 50 degree mark…I had been ecstatic and was grateful for these temperatures but not anymore. Today. I wore my Red Johnny and I was worm. I hate the feel of regression having to go back to heavy clothes but I ate more being cold.

A couple of weeks ago I had a call from my old friend and colleague The Mad Mexican Christian. He had left a message on my cell and I had planned to get right back to him but have not as yet. Luckily I did archive Jose’s call and had a few extra minutes before work this morning so I dialed his number. I had caught the earlier train than I usually catch and I was into the office a little after 7:00 a.m. Mountain time. I logged in my system and started the coffee and called the MMC, who now resides in Texas. At least an hour a head of me: 8:00. Just as Jose’s phone was ringing my “800” line started ringing so I took my work phone and fumbled round and canceled the Jose call. I noticed my phone started ringed seconds later I quickly stifled that call as well---and noticed then a message alarm went off.

Couple minutes later I cleared my call, got my coffee, and retrieved the voicemail from the MMC. There was Jose’s. gruff sleep clogged voice, “ Hey!! Whats the del call a mann then hang up on him when he wakes up enough to answer the phone!! ? I’ll call YOU later !!! Sheesh, something never change.



No comments: