Monday, April 02, 2007

Slow Getting Up to Speed

I was hoping to be feeling better then I am now, at the end of this work day. I am much better then I was last week at this time but I m yet far from being as well as I wish I were. I should be more patient after all it took me quite a while to get my body to the level of dysfunction it was when I sought medical attention. I suffered through staff meeting, returned calls and fielded new calls which have come in today. Checking my calendar I realized I missed some key meetings last week and I have a conference call tomorrow and a presentation at the City library tomorrow night for the university medical center’s Rehab Unit. The day has been cooler then I thought it was going to be. I should have worn socks but tomorrow, again, holds promise of sunshine and temps in the 60’s.

Because I was ill last week I was not able to purchase my bus pass for April. I have bus tokens so no big deal. But for someone with limited hand function as I am I don’t like to use the bus ticket vending machines, especially under the pressure of a train coming into the terminal. So, what I do is go up to up to one of the buses “dieseling” in the parking lot and ask them to sell me a Transfer—that slip of paper issued by a driver which will act as a pass for the two hours following its purchase. I also know that 9 times out of 10 the driver will just give me the Transfer. This morning when I asked for a Transfer I was taken a back when the driver caller me by name. I checked to see if my nametag was on but it was not. Then the driver identified: it was Dan, Jin’s husband. One of Dianne’s best friends who now lives in Beijing, China! In fact Dan informed me that he was leaving for Beijing next week. Jin is from Beijing and has been less and less happy living in the USA the past couple of years. I did not think to ask Dan if he were coming back but I assumed that he was because he did not mention anything about closing out his house, or selling it or a final good bye which I am sure I would have sensed if he was not coming back to the USA. It’s just weird to run into him like this now just as he is about to leave—like the meeting was supposed to happen.

No comments: