Thursday, February 02, 2017

Groundhogs Day



I am so ready for this birthday to come to an end. I don't mean to sound ungrateful or anything like that but this is been one stressful day. The Day began early when I got up about a quarter to 6 and I was excited about my birthday. Today is also the day when we have the apartment coffee where people get together and chat and I swear like that communal thing. But if you've been following this blog you know that I've been having problems with my power chair and intermittent power shutdowns. This morning I was in my chair in the leaned back position trying to position myself in the chair and chair completely shut down. Where I am lying naked in my power chair no and I'm going to have to call for some help. Fortunately I was in the bathroom and there is a call string yanked and got the building resident advisor. Are building ra is called Jim and he's a friend. Jim helped me as much as I could but in the process I went from in the chair get on the floor. Fortunately I did not hurt myself except that the challenge of getting off the floor is great. Luckily I have an electric lift but it's a little difficult to work with me on the floor. We decided call my brother to see if he would come and assist which of course he did. He had already started his work day but came right over. I'm so pleased we did not have to call the the fire department. My brother Carl took care of me all last summer getting me up and going so he knew about the lift in the house sling me up. We got me in my chair, manual chair which I stayed till late afternoon. One of my friends on Facebook who's also severely disabled informed me that I should use his guy and text me his number. I was desperate since my wheelchair shop has written me off till next Wednesday. So I called the name and sure enough he came over in a half an so had my chair torn a part and isolated the problem. A wiring harness called the pigtail had somehow burned itself out. Possibly some moisture getting into the connectors. Fortunately for us the technician has a comfortable chair at his shop that he could cannibalize a wiring system out of that would fit my chair. He was back by mid-afternoon and had me up and functional in my wooden chair by 4 o'clock. I feel blessed for all these people that were part of the fix today on my birthday. I am thankful to add a new contact I plan to use again with my next chair failure not to be pessimistic but that is realistic because my chair will fail again. I also feel blessed for a late birthday function when my son and me came over with a birthday dinner of pizza. I had a great cake provided by my brother came over later with treats ,birthday card and carrot cake. I'm tired on this the end of a birthday Groundhog's Day, the end to a very long day.

No comments: