Saturday, February 18, 2017

Radical Gossip


Tenants meeting? I wonder if you if you use ' in 'tenant meeting”. Yesterday was the first tenants meeting which is been held since I moved in. I was not sure what to expect. The tenants meeting finished a week long exercise referred to as tenants appreciation week. A week of root beer floats, some entertainment, and a sponsored lunch by Utah nonprofit agency that private nonprofi who owns this project.

As I said is not been in attendance meeting since I moved in here last October. In my mind I feel like I'm still a new guy that I've just moved in and in point of fact I'm getting close to a happy year here and there should probably been attendance meeting somewhere along the line. At the meeting they announced formally that Friday next week will be the apartment expections. I have heard rumblings the last couple weeks that an inspection was coming. I did not really pursue what the inspections meant or who they were by I figured they would come one way or the other. Now I knew Utah nonprofit will be inspecting each property in each unit in each property which of course means me. I of course then realized the reason there was a tense meeting was for management to officially give notice. Somewhere in some H U D manual there is a paragraph which states there will be a unit inspection once a year….and each one of these events,, I'm sure, is part of the whole process of this inspection. But a tenants meeting is still tenants meeting and tenants will be tenants. They will believe they actually have input into their living situation.

What I thought was interesting was that the tenant meeting was actually ran by somebody from the home/corporate office – – after all the private nonprofit is called Utah nonprofit corporation. The corporate rep was a very early middle-aged high-energy lady with blondish – Silverish hair it was definitely in charge of the meeting and is going to have it finished by 5 o'clock. I never got her name and I should know since I'm on the Board of Directors. However, she covered first and foremost the apartment inspections coming up, building security I. E. opening the door for strangers, blocking our wedging doors open and gossip. Actually gossip was brought up by one of the tenants as well as the issue of non-English speaking tenants not understanding fire drills, attendance at meetings or special events and not cleaning out the laundry areas which I assume meant cleaning up lint traps as well as keeping the laundry room tidy.General housekeeping stuff which is to be expected. I was kind of surprised though there was a meanness to the room that I had not expected.

I was glad when the meeting was over I had that same kind really one feels when one is finished with a dental appointment. A guarded relief one is just glad to get away from the spot contention. I made some comments just basic stuff and responded to some of the comments that were made. Not that it mattered but there two other males in the room and one left midway through the meeting the other is actually quasi-paid staff, the resident assistant. The meeting was over and I assume we won't have another for only six months or until something severe comes up like radical gossip..






No comments: