Saturday, July 22, 2023

Comfort Food

 I just finished making a meal of sloppy joes. Sloppy joes is one of my favorite go-to meals when I want some comfort food and I want to establish a bunch of sloppy joes to eat in the next week. What I like to do is make it back to sloppy joes fill up as many hamburger buns as I can put in the refrigerator and then just have them whenever I need them for the next week- - usually for dinner. I have been known however, to eat them for breakfast as well as I am dashing out the door sometimes for a meeting or something. Today I just wanted to have enough to get me through Sunday and the holiday which is Pioneer Day here in Utah the 24th of July which will be Monday. I've decided not to do a fantasy barbecue again it's just too much work for one person. It's kind of pathetic too and I stand back and look at it and what am I trying to achieve a feeling of normalcy. Anyway, this year I've got sloppy joes two kinds of potato chips, store made potato salad and my usual drink of jalapeno peppers tomato juice and the rest. It's going to be a great holiday. It's too hot to really do anything so I plan to do some reading sit in the shade as much as possible suck down popsicles I have a couple bags in the freezer and enjoy the time. 


As I said sloppy joes are one of my favorite go-to comfort Foods there's just something totally easy from building to digesting the burger. I think besides cinnamon toast sloppy joes was one of the first meals I ever learned to make all by myself. I don't know if my mother encouraged me she must have since I used the family kitchen to make them but I don't remember that aspect. I just remember putting everything together especially the green peppers and the onions and a can of tomato paste or whatever and having the whole thing turn out to be a decent little barbecue burger. Actually sloppy joes with sort of a new thing at that point in time and I was totally in love with the burger and would make as many times as I get away with. I've been thinking about making sloppy joes for 2 days now I even got a pound of hamburger out of the freezer and had it thawed out ready to go. I thought I had everything I needed but during the week I did get another green pepper and I knew I had an onion so I was okay that way. I also thought I was totally okay with the tomato sauce or paste whatever I knew I had cans of it in my storage. However when it came time to use the Tomato product I checked the best by dates and I was like 10 years past most of the checkout dates are used by dates. I opened up the paste anyway and it was this ugly black sludge same way with two cans of tomato sauce that I dared to open. I guess the use by dates are really valid I need to be less skeptical. I guess I'm going to go through all my cans now and get rid of the ones with way past the used by dates. I should have done it long ago how stupid am i? I'm currently waiting for the sloppy joe mix to us cool down at the point that I can build the burgers put them in the plastic container and throw them in the fridge. I kind of destroyed the Kitchen Tonight so I think I have to wait now till Monday to clean up. That's okay I enjoyed myself happy Saturday night

No comments: