Thursday, September 03, 2020

Anti--Coffee Social

 



It's been happening for some time now. I don't know how or why I let this happen. Sometimes I think I've outgrown this petty competition thing that sometimes gets the better of me oh, about 18 months ago we got a new person here at the apartment complex. She's foreign she's from England not that that really matters. Out of had the same issue had she been local homegrown American. She is just those folks who seems to want to control everything and everybody. I don't think she plans to be this way are planned to be this way but she certainly turned out that way. I first noticed her behavior when she kind of took over the movie night event here at the complex. They would have movies on Saturday night in the main area. Well, somehow she engineered the movie or movies to be British comedy series and I should put quotations around comedies. British humor is just so droll. That's okay that didn't really bother me anyway movies that they were screening were pretty old obscure. I usually had better movies going in my apartment thanks to Netflix and Red Box. Then this person put together a monthly luncheon. Cost a couple blocks and everyone would meet in the common area for lunch. I went a couple times and really was not impressed with the bill of fare. The bill of fare was usually some heavy, greasy English dish. So I boycotted the luncheon until March that it wasn't an issue any longer thanks to Covid 19. Next, she started working her way into the Thursday morning coffee group. I mean there wasn't a whole lot to do to work your way in.


Actually, the Thursday morning coffee group went the way of the luncheon except for about a month ago we started having a coffee group again Thursday mornings. We tried to comply with the social distancing parameters. We set the tables up lengthwise and kind of situated ourselves at 6 foot intervals up-and-down the tables. We of course had to wear our masks at least coming into the common room. It was just easier to take the mask off when we were eating the refreshments treats. (I failed to note that this British lady we get up very early every Thursday morning and put together handmade cinnamon rolls. Actually, the cinnamon rolls weren't bad, they were not like the kind I used to get in junior high, those junior high cooks in the cafeteria produced some works of art when it came to similar production.) The cinnamon rolls her just regular dough bread dough with cinnamon raisins and sometimes walnuts. The hard little hockey pucks similar to what I would make when I make my cinnamon rolls. They're better than nothing however and I've taken more than one set of cinnamon rolls home to enjoy with my coffee the next morning. Anyway last week we were at coffee and the British lady was at the front of the long tables and she mentioned that she was the coffee group cop and I certainly voiced that she was. I could tell there is an edge to my voice however and I knew I didn't want to get into any kind of a explosive situation so I shut up.


Following coffee social I met with my neighbor across the hall Billie was really very deaf unless she has her “ears” in. She still having issues with her hearing aids and does not wear the most of the time. She's missed most of the conversation sitting at the end of the table with me and so rather than going with the group this week we went to the coffee shop across the street from our building, just she me. We had quite a long conversation enjoyed the outdoor venue since there's no in house dining/drinking. The place is quite a conservative outfit, kind of frightening with trumpets all around, a lot of dogs and prejudice. We of course they do ourselves enjoyed the company of each other. We're going next week to supposedly until the weather breaks. However, when I first arrived this morning I talked to the owner of the establishment and he is talking about opening up the facility to in-house drinking from November, Let's keep our fingers crossed…

No comments: