Friday, September 04, 2020

Haircut

 





One of the things which pleased me most when I moved into this property, like five years ago! Was how many services were in the immediate vicinity, how many services I could actually roll to if and when I wanted. The only service that I wasn't able to secure medically speaking was my docs over at Intermountain healthcare which is a couple bus stops away. Everything else however was reachable. The only thing I didn't actively search for when I moved in was a barber. I really didn't have to because oddly are not oddly enough there is a beauty salon in this building! It's nothing huge one chair with one girl named Brenda but it was functional. She had skills and she could cut hair for 10 bucks a shot 12 if you count the tip. I do not begrudge her charging that much to cut hair but it seemed high (actually now that I'm doing some checking around it wasn't such a high price but still but if you add in the fact that it's right here in the building I guess it was worth it). I never really got the impression however that Brenda enjoyed cutting my hair. However Brenda would every couple weeks I would wander in and she would do the job but I figured I could get better somewhere else.


In spring probably of the second year third-year I was here I went over to the small Indian food store located across the street from our complex and for the first time I noticed there was a barbershop or hair salon or whatever rights there. In front of this shop was a sandwich board advertising haircuts (in Spanish) for $7.99! The place was called Myla's. The place would not win any awards as far as accessibility went the door was difficult to pull open and there were candy machines, garbage cans and chairs in the way. After struggling for a moment Myla came out of the back to see what all the ruckus was about and she was quite taken aback to see me sitting there. Myla has a working ability to speak English I have some Spanish behind me and between us with got along pretty well. I was so enthralled with the $7.99 price I was going to try to get away with just throwing in a dollar tip but oddly and I think by design that 799 rounds up to $10 very easily. It's like that's all I ever had was a $10 bill. Even when I had a five and three ones are for one's was just easier to do the $10 bill and get out of town. And besides I can afford to dollar tip is still less than what I would be paid Brenda.


Myla is a short short person. Difficult to gauge how old she is but she's always there except on Tuesdays when I found out she does child care for her kids.. I have rarely seen other customers come in all I've been there over the years. The place like I indicated is very small and very rustic. She has a television that might be color but barely works, she actually has to hit the television periodically to increase its performance. It's always on a Mexican news channel. She also has a radio that looks like it escaped from the 60s. There is a regular barber chair and then they barber chair for kids made to look like a race car. It looks like she does women's hair as well as men's allotted kids. We barely talk like until she's always happy to see me always happy to see her. Myla things I'm incredible, very brave. I've shown up in the hottest weather as well as the coldest weather. The only thing that prevents me from showing up as snow. It's nothing for me but she thinks it's amazing that I survive, that I live by myself and I seem to be relatively adjusted well. I'm not sure how tall she is I'm sure she's under 5 feet and always amazed. I really like her she works very hard. I was somewhat distressed yesterday when she told me that she was no longer going to have this little barbershop. I thought perhaps maybe because she did not get enough business but then she started telling me that she would have her friend take over the shop. Then she said if I wanted she could come to my apartment And cut my hair. And then she said if I would call her she would meet me at the barbershop and cut my hair there. Either way I still have a barber and I still get the job done for $10 and that's all I really wanted…

No comments: