Sunday, September 20, 2020

Hidden Peaks Coffee

 

 Fox fiends outside the coffee shop.
 



I'm perplexed not really sure what I should do. I've talked about this great little coffee shop across the street from our apartment complex. The place is called Hidden Peaks. They roast their own coffee of course. They've survived the past few months of the pandemic by the mere fact that the coffee shop provides a pretty brisk mail-order and office and cafeteria support. So even though their “drink in” was shut down they survived. There's also the fact that it's greatly and family affair. Both the staff are the kids of the owner. The place is a real neighborhood operation with a few left really. This last week the owner got permission to open the main area for table coffee drinking which is a boon to all of us. The only drawback is for some reason this little coffee shop to some kind of a conservative hangout. The flatscreen TV is always tuned into Fox news in the morning regulars are bunch of retired, lower middle class, overweight white guys. I've known this for some time. When I first moved into this property I went over there the first week on Saturdays when they all get together . At first I thought to submit good group to become part of if it were possible until I began to listen to some of the conversations. They didn't like a lot of local politics especially when it came to school board decisions. They did not come right out and say it but I could tell they did like minorities very much either. They particularly did like students from the University of Utah and student protest groups. They didn't like legislation which forced builders to make things more accessible. They would have these discussions will be in the room I don't think really understanding what they were really talking about.


Last week they are talking about the continued need for construction of the Great Wall between USA and Mexico. More talk about government involvement in their lives and particularly the elections and particularly support for Donald Trump. Such a drag because this can be such a great little coffee shop as it is now just another conservative stink hole. Yesterday, I really became offended when the morning discussion centered around the late RGB. Heard them characterize the justices passing as “ding dong the witch is dead which old which the wickedwitch”. Of course this was just the men talking, sadly coupled the wives were sitting with their guys but being very very quiet. I think they realized what Ruth B Ginsburg was to them. That this justice passed legislation because legislation to be passed that directly influenced the lives of millions of Americans mostly women. Of course they could not bring this up in front of our group they would incur the wrath of husbands. Still sad to me.


I should've said something that I did not I'm not I'm not that strong a person. I did not linger I just got my coffee and left as quickly as I could. I would like for this toolbar to be my hangout place but clearly cannot be and perhaps that's best…

No comments: