Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Dog Days Dog Malaise

 






Somehow a couple weeks ago talking a good friend Trish lives upon the second floor she was telling me how bad she felt when she saw how despondent the number of the renters here at the complex looked. She really felt the trials and tribulations of this past year have a significant impact on us. So, she took it upon herself to put together Dog Days of September. Some kind of event that would celebrate all the little beasties that seem to permeate this complex. Trish of course enlisted me in the event as a judge. In fact I not only was a judge I was the starter of the race special flight and made for me out of what look like someone's boxer shorts. Like any good race person I was to wave the flag maniacally at the beginning of the hurrah and do everything but jump up and down.


I don't know if I've recounted before how much I really dislike the furry/hairless little bug eyed beasts that dare call themselves dogs. For some reason people are drawn to these beasts. In all honesty I've had a couple dogs and I guess I enjoy their company to a point. I thought taking care of a dog in the house on a good piece aground with the challenge but trying to keep the little yapper's here at an apartment complex and by many who could barely walk is un-dogable. Thankfully the owners of the beasts do a great job as far as clean up the poop and for the most part keep them quiet during the day and night. Every once in a while the barking gets a little shrill but for the most part their okay to just ugly little buggy eyes and sniff sniff sniff.


I in fact forgotten I had volunteered for this event and on top of that it never registered to me that the event was today. Somehow I I still have a couple of weeks boy was I wrong. I realize something was up when I went down to check at the office and saw the patio area all decked out in streamers chairs (6 feet apart) and party hats in the table full of iced cupcakes and party favors and my neighbors milling all about. I did not want to be part of this event but Trish saw me looking in the doorway and did her famous double hammerlock arm lock. She found me a table and thrust the flag in my hand and told me when I would be doing my event. I just nodded and grinned like an idiot. This too shall pass, this too shall pass is the best mantra in something like this. I was amazed at how many people showed up as well as how many dogs showed up, someone costumes, some wearing the party hats all over little bewildered when trying to lick one of the discarded cupcakes if only they could. There are even interlopers people who did not live at the apartment complex managed to bring their dogs over. There is even somebody with this curlyhaired shaggy type dog which took me a minute or two to realize she is one of these therapy.leading archetypes a director beasts to one function or another to do mental health supports. I even petted the beast when she drove him around where I was sitting. The morning was beautiful temperatures in the right area everyone was having a great time nobody died. Everyone was cordial we ran the race and the big curly dog won. I was glad to have my part finished too much pressure. We really did look cliché in fact what we look like was one of those geriatric drug commercials always shown during the 5 o'clock news. Oh well, maybe Trish was right maybe that's what we all needed was a little dog therapy…

No comments: