Saturday, September 09, 2023

Finger Steaks Well Done




8


 The other day I was at the market and I noticed in the dead meat section that there are two packages of sirloin steak at a significant reduction in price so I grabbed them both not knowing for sure what to do with them maybe just freeze them for right now but it'd be nice to have in the freezer in case I never need them. Also the last couple of days I've been thinking about finger steaks and Hawkins take home restaurant which is basically a fast food joint in Boise no longer functioning as I understand it but they used to have these Box Dinners the ever-present fish dinner and finger steak dinners. A steak like sirloin or flank or something cheap in those days cut and finger lengths sizes then breaded and deep fat fried four or five of them to a dinner and they were pretty good after the Saturday night dances when me and Dave would stop in there to to grab a bite to eat after the dance. Anyway I've been craving them and wondered why not make some myself?


Our first one of the packages of the meats the other I left in the refrigerator and the day I forced myself to go ahead and start the process. I used my vegetable chopper to cut the meat into the finger length sections and set them aside. This is when I often put everything in the fridge with the idea that I'll come back and work on it another time but since tomorrow is Sunday and I try not to do any work at all on Sunday if it's possible I knew if I waited till Monday that I would not like the looks of the meat so it had to be done today. I found a recipe online which I tried to follow which is pretty straightforward you know liquid part couple eggs couple cups of milk and then the dry part flower paprika salt pepper I threw in some steak rub and couple other spices in the milk I put in the liquid stuff that sauce I can never say the name right: Worcestershire sauce, some vinegar type stuff Etc couple eggs and I mixed everything together in the liquid stuff as well as the dredge. They have this great flat bottom walk that I thought would be perfect and I filled the bottom of it with vegetable oil, dredge the pieces of meat in the milk eggs substance then the flower and threw them into the frying pan which of course they started cooking immediately I think well I know now that the heat was way too high. It started smoking immediately I didn't pay much attention a lot of stuff I Cooks smokes quite a bit. Anyway long story short I set off the alarms in my apartment which is not really earth-shattering news but then for the first time I made enough smoke that I started filling up the Halls or the apartment complex and the major alarms went off that go directly to the fire department. Immediately I went to the hallway and started telling everybody I was just cooking not to be alarmed( excuse the pun). Sure enough it seemed like half the Taylorsville fire department showed up and they're all congregated by my doorway which is not open and I have the patio open hopefully trying to get some cross vent and the fire guys are all going full bore bringing all the heavy equipment especially the fans to blow the smoke out of the hallways. I made about six pieces of meat maybe 9:00 all together and I thought they were pretty good I ate a couple and put the rest in plastic to use an eat on tomorrow in the first part of the week. I have to admit I'm a little intimidated to do this project again maybe if I just keep the heat down pretty low I'm not worried about a fast fry. Now I have to go and try to clean the flat bottom axesWok I try to get it done before midnight. A 1/4 of the way through Toy Story 3 and I'd like to finish it tonight actually that's not going to happen it's on regular broadcast and will be done by the time I finish washing the Chinese Wok. Now I just hope I don't have serious repercussions from management about almost burning Down the joint.

1 comment:

Dianne said...

Bee careful. Extra careful.