Friday, September 01, 2023

September's Produce




 One of the things I like best about this time of year is when all the gardens begin to produce and people have just way too much produce to deal with themselves- - that is with the exception of those who can madly I eat food Preserve. Everything from zucchinis to summer squash seems to be everywhere for a few precious weeks. Over the years I realized that many people who are desperately searching for places to stash their Garden bounty have found senior housing projects as a good place for that and the good old Plymouth View Apartments is exactly that. What has to be quick however because if you don't come across the treasures quickly they're gone. The produce shows up at the sharing Shelf in sacs, cardboard boxes and sometimes just lying on the table. That's okay whether it's plums or green beans I wouldn't mind a few of each. Today I was pleased to stumble across a box and sacks of very small green pears as well as plastic sacks of I think hot green peppers. I didn't feel bad I grabbed one of the boxes that had a few pieces left in it and claimed it as my own and filled it with more green pears and I included a number of bags of green peppers. I thought they might go good with scrambled eggs and sausage who knows? It looked like they were also tomatoes which were offered but they were gone by the time I got there that's okay a few minutes ago when my good friends from employment days posted on his Facebook account that he had an abundant year in tomatoes. I send him a message indicated how lucky he was and he responded by indicated I would be welcome to some and that he would bring some over tomorrow! That's the best. I don't care how big they are how weather damage they might be as long as they're nice homegrown tomatoes perfect for sandwiches, hamburgers and just eating straight out with lots of salt. I guess if I had enough and had the patience I could even dice them up for my morning drink. I've been using cans of diced tomatoes peppers onions and such a couple of times and they really do add a nice flavor to the concoction.


Speaking of my morning concoction that giant can of sliced pickled peppers that I opened earlier in the week is nearly gone. The weather is turning inclement and I didn't want to go all the way down to 41 South Smith's to pick up another can. I figured if I purchase two of the middle size cans and dump them into the container it would hold me for a while which I did. I think buying a smaller cans might be the most convenient way to go and probably the most tasty since I can get San Marco variety sliced pickled peppers as opposed to the other that I can get sliced pickles peppers in the big cans. It's quite a job to keep in peppers in spicy vegetable juice but I think it's pretty good for me and I want to keep that illusion alive. Well it's a holiday weekend and of course storms are blowing in tropical weather from the south pumping in a lot of moisture so I doubt that they'll be much going on with me for the rest of the weekend even over the holiday but we'll see maybe I'll just pull out my jackets and go roll it in the rain if I need be ellipsis

No comments: