Thursday, September 14, 2023

Coffee Dollars




 I did it! I attended my first board of directors meeting for the Utah Independent Living Center as a member of the board. I was a little confused about the whole thing because I was told that the board meeting was going to be at one time and then it was sort of indicated that it would be that another time. And then I got the feeling that everything was going to be under Zoom. The information that I received via email gave all the information on how to attend via Zoom. I kind of hate this because I really don't trust the whole Zoom concept very much. I'm sure it's me it's just that I've never seems to work right for me. I really wanted to make this event go without any problems and it really didn't I felt awkward but I could tell from many other of the people involved with the zoom but they did as well.


I didn't know if I had the option of actually just showing up and being included to the meeting in person versus coming in over the internet. I was kind of busy so I never got around to really asking that question I wish that I had and I wish that I'd actually taken the time to go in in person. I had two or three different times about what time the board meeting will start everywhere from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. it was all kind of confusing to me then the director of the Independent Living Center was on a road trip and she was coming in with zoom as well and having a difficult time. Finally, at 4:30 p.m. we did get the meeting somewhat launched at least that's what I was able to be led into the meeting. I was using my tablet I don't know if that's part of the problem but it seems like when I have the audio or my microphone turned on then there's feedback all over the system to the other folks online. This has happened before and when I go to mute then everything's okay. I don't know why this is and it kind of annoys me but I'm not going to let this bother me too much it mean after all it's just the Independent Living Center. The meeting was pretty well kicked back or laid back those Kim likely and some other guy who I think is the board chair at the office itself and two or three people online would be my old friend Julie Beckstead. It's good to see her even though online and we didn't get to visit it all. Anyways, I dropped the meeting two or three times trying to open up my copies of the minutes and the agenda and other things that they were sent out by internet. It took a while but I finally got an agenda to follow. I think I'm going to enjoy my time on this board once I get everything squared away and can figure out how to use the zoom function and I may not even use it that much preferring to be a at this meeting in person it just means a lot more to me and I want to spend time with my old friend Kim. I should be okay till next month unless they call me in on a special assignment which I doubt would happen.


The other two events of my day one was the coffee group which was pretty vigorous lot of good conversation going on and I got a bunch of dollar bills. About the same amount that I get every week between 8:00 and $10 which isn't too bad. Also, we had way more cookies and treats than we needed but it's always better to have too many cookies than too few that's a great motto to live by. You never have enough cookies. I did make a Fast Trip over to Smith's and get a giant can of peppers, sliced jalapenos. So it was kind of a busy day but I enjoyed being out and using the transit system. I also got some tamales at the market I had one for a late lunch it's not too bad it's a chicken tamale and I would rather have had beef or I just should have gone with the cheese and green chilies that would have been great as well. I'd go back and get another bag of tamales but it's just too much hassle trying to run all the way through the construction I'm trying to find a bus that'll stop and pick you up or let you off without having to roll all over just to get home again…

No comments: