Monday, September 18, 2023

Monday matters

Another day of doing almost absolutely nothing in an attempt to keep as much weight off my butt as possible. I was pleased this morning when Melissa indicated that my butt looked pretty good, which we had taped last week before the weekend, and we should let it ride until possibly Wednesday if not Friday and that's a good sign. I just don't want to stress the skin any more than I need to so I spend a good deal of my day reclining in the Sun, in the back of the building, reading my book or whatever book I'm reading at that point in time. I do get around the apartment complex fairly well unless I have a prior commitment or I need something fairly desperate will I go to the market and leave the comfort zone of reclining. I guess things could be worse as far as pressure sores and other problems that I could be experiencing so I'm grateful to be in a place that I have my rent, food, in general needs met.

I would like to have a van or some form of personal transportation but if I did I know I would be broke. It's worth the trade off I just have to be patient I'll get to what I need or where I need to go. With that in mind I'm debating whether or not to attend the funeral of the late great Larry or a person with a disability that I used to work with and I'd like to think a friend and colleague. He passed last week and I can't say I'm really too surprised. You had a stroke a couple years ago and he's been somewhat recovering ever since. He managed to give himself married and they were having a nice little life until the stroke took over. His wife is a paraplegic too and so that was very interesting I thought. Actually, the neighborhood they lived in sort of took a keen interest in the couple and even remodel a home that they could live in easier than where they were at when they got married. It was one of those tearjerker kind of things that local TV news likes to get their hands on. Larry was a good guy, one of those esoteric paraplegic athlete type of folk that was always photogenic and semi-active on the disability stage locally. I was not as close to him as other folks and I hate to see his passing from a selfish standpoint which means someone else has to be next. No I don't think anyone is actually verbalizing it but I think all the other spinal cords in the community are keeping close tabs as to who is looking like they could be next. I try not to but it's certainly something that I can't help but I see my friends for folks with disabilities getting into advanced age and I'm older than they are.


This is going to be a fairly busy week for me. I have a couple of meetings besides my regular assist, ink meeting tomorrow. They are both optional as far as in attendance versus Zoom attendance. Depending on how will the weather looks towards the end of the week when these meetings will be will be how much I opt to use technology to make attendance easier. At least tomorrow I will put some real miles on the chair…

No comments: