Wednesday, September 06, 2023

Geronimo!

Last night around 11:00 p.m. as I transferring into bed I almost turfed it. When I say transferring into bed it's more correctly falling into bed. I think I've gone over this before but just to bring you back to process. I have a power chair and a power bed. The power bed raises and lowers so I can always make the bed lower than I am so when I'm parallel to the bed, when I'm going to bed, I can have the bed low enough so I can just roll off my chair onto the mattress about 4 in below and nine times out of 10 that works pretty well. Last night however I'm not sure what happened cuz I went through the regular process of making sure that the foot pedals were tilted up so the next morning when I fall into my chair my feet will land on the foot pedals and stay there. And I was close enough to the bed so there was not a gap between my chair in my bed. I have found if there is a gap and I fall straight down I could wedge my butt in that Gap and never get out or I think I can't. That kind of happened last night I just don't know for sure. Usually, when I fall into bed I kind of Bounce on the mattress and try to push myself over to towards the wall away from the edge of the mattress and the chair. Lately however I think I'm beginning to spasm a little bit and I may have spasmed towards the edge of the mattress. The bed that I have is like a hospital bed and has sides on the bed that I can Loop my hands into most the time but when my home health person made my bed earlier in the week she pushed the bed all the way to the wall leaving no room for me to Wet get my hand in between the wall and the chair. So I didn't have anything to pull me back on. And once my lower legs fall off the mattress I'm pretty much a goner. All those things seem to happen last night and I almost thought for sure I would be wedged there all night long until I could get someone's attention or maybe luckily if I could pull the alarm string on the side of the wall. However I took a couple deep breaths and started pushing as much as I could with my arms and spasming my legs to try to push against anything and after about 10 minutes I got my hips on to the bed enough that I was able to turn myself over and finish pulling the rest of my body onto the mattress and to bed by then it was nearly 12:00. I'd really wanted that time to read.


Now this has been haunting me all day. I think I can do better tonight we'll see that's for sure. But it's like I said something's going to happen at some point in time and I'm not going to be able to make this transfer anymore without having the fire department come and Rescue Me. I don't call my brother anymore he's really had some health issues, my son's too far away and there's really nobody here at the apartment complex that I could call on that's if I could call on anybody. Worst case I would have to just lay there until my home health person would show up and that would be a long time. I probably need to look at some sort of device that would respond to my calling out. I know a number of the old ladies in this apartment complex have stuff like that but I also know they have those things listening all the time and I don't know if I would want that kind of involvement in my life but then again is there a choice and do I want to make that choice..?

1 comment:

Dianne said...

Oh no!

I'm sad.