Saturday, September 16, 2023

Lonely?

 I don't think that I'm lonely. Maybe I'm not maybe I'm doing all these little things during the day and such to keep me from being lonely. I heard an interesting article today on NPR about loneliness and about how people especially seniors are suffering from loneliness and thus are more susceptible to a host of issues that could be damaging to the individual. All the stuff that's not good for you you know hypertension, mental health issues, just all kinds of stuff that the commentator indicated that is important that people need to be into some socialization ritual during the day or week I guess. Then they give examples of how some folks are creating their own little pockets of socialization- - which never existed before and now they do. Everything from small conversations with the postman to running around to different fast food/ convenience stores on a regular basis in attempt to create contact socially thus avoiding loneliness. All of a sudden, I kind of realized that's what I do. Luckily there's a market right across the street from my apartment complex actually just down the street, and I've gotten to know everybody in there almost like family. I go there at least once a week if not twice and I have social interactions from just about everybody. They're not long or involved conversations regarding the thesis of War and Peace or other pieces of literature but they asked me how I am and I asked how they are and we say hello in goodbye or if I need help they assist me. Tonight I was over at the market and I needed a cardboard box of some size to bring home my purchases. It wasn't a good time for cardboard boxes none could be found that would meet my needs but during the search I did a lot of communication from the guy that ran the produce section who I know quite well to a lot of the other staff that I've gotten to know just on site. There is Vicky who is just lost her husband last year, then there is Sharon who seems to work all the time there and then there's other folks that I don't know the names of right now but I know their faces which have warm smiles and flashing Happy Eyes. I do not spend a lot when I go there just usually what I can afford on cash. Today I got my bottle of juice and one carrot and a small bunch of bananas. There were other things I should have picked up but I only had so much space on my hook that I can hang bags off of for my trip home. I got enough to get me through tomorrow and anything I need for next week I can get on Monday or later. I got what I needed most and that was physical contact with warm happy smiles and a touch here and there just enough to keep me human

No comments: