Saturday, February 15, 2020

Mean Girls



I have a new neighbor will actually she's been living over there now couple of months so that past the new phase. I think she is significantly older than I but she still takes care of herself very well and drives and gets things done that she needs to have done. Let's call her Benie and like everybody Benie just wants to fit and be part of the crowd.

Last year we got a new resident who is quite British. Of course, and someone like this caused quite a stir to the more traditional folks we have at this living facility. From the very start Angela (not her real name, the real name is been changed to protect me). Angela the person from Great Britain began whipping things up around here. She established the first Friday lunch. That is a lunch she makes for anybody who wishes to go on the first Friday of every month. I went to the first and decided it was not for me – – English food is just too bland. Angela promptly took over any movie night here at the apartments. They used to do movies but Angela instituted British comedy series which really just to droll for me. Of course the rest of the residents loved entertainment. Bennie had made suggestions but seem to fall on deaf ears (no pun intended). Bennie was hurt and confused for being ignored.

This week at the “Coffee social” out of the blue Angela started talking about the ham, frozen ham, taking up space in the refrigerator in the common area. Everyone to that weird looking each other like what is going on? Angela was talking about should be happy to prepare the ham but did not have the time or the energy to prepare the rest of the meal. Or she would prepare the rest of the meal if someone would cook to him. Everyone still bewildered kept looking at each other trying to figure out what was going on. Some folks started throwing out options which could be considered like ham and bean soup, ham and scalloped potatoes, ham and eggs and even ham sandwiches. I throughout Green eggs's nobody appreciated the literary footnote I interjected. And then in Angela fashion she scooped up her Apple tablet and was gone. We all just looked at each other then slowly begin testing a reality by quizzing each other as to what had just happened.

I was sorry that Bennie had her feelings hurt by the girls the coffee social. I tried to explain to her, how I have always felt strong sophomoric condition which envelops this facility. Whether I was accepted or not into this group is not really that much of an impact on me. I've rarely been part of the “group” and certainly not going to start looking for membership now. I don't know if Bennie took my counseling to heart. I don't know how much she needs to be included. I suspect she gets along without being part of the “in crowd” just fine. After all she was brought up Wyoming on a cattle ranch some sort were her only social network were cows, bulls and steers. I'm sure Bennie will get along just fine…

No comments: