Wednesday, February 12, 2020

My Dinner With Dennis



I had lunch today with an old friend. Actually, I really did not know this guy until I met up again with them here in Salt Lake. He is from Boise same as me. His name is Dennis and he's quite a bit over the is actually old of my older brother Ross. When I was growing up like way small Dennis was a legend. Dennis was the older brother but one of my best friends in grade school local religious group setting called ward. Once again for this student reader of this blog I wrote about the bridges, twin Bridges, were used to swim in the rural area of South Boise. I even wrote about the fight, one of the flights, I saw Dennis participate in. For me, Dennis was all but a super hero. Dennis was a fighter, and he won his fights(I know because I watched a couple). Dennis was also a football hero for the local high school. High school are supposed to go to but could not because of the wheelchair. On top of all this Dennis is also state champion high school wrestler. During all this time I was just a bug, a little kid in awe.

I don't quite remember how I tripped across the fact that Dennis lived in Salt Lake. I know I was blown away. Somebody from my hometown,somebody from my home ward. I make a contract and we got together and try to keep relationship going over the next couple of years. Dennis, I'm sure his Republican, using sales of course is a good Republican has his own business. I think he does pretty good. Carved out a little niche along the Wasatch front and perhaps that is all one needs. What's great about having Dennis in my life that Dennis is a touchstone many ways just as being alive validates almost everything about me. He knows was raised, he knows my parents and he and I pretty much with the same schools (before they were torn down). Dennis validates me mentally physically, but psychologically and finally funny as it might sound spiritually. I can talk to Dennis and share things with him and share with him but could not anyone else.

Dennis has cancer, pretty significant cancer, is just finished the second course of the six course chemo regimen. We're supposed to have this lunch couple of weeks ago but Dennis at the back away because of his chemo and was not up to the meeting , last week I was down with this cold. I had seen the YouTube where Dennis actually pulls handfulls of hair from his head. Just about, like Sampson Dennis 's glory resided in his hair. I don't know Dennis is in stage III or stage four he says is feeling good right now. We should start his next regimen next week and he says it takes about a week to bounce back.

Dennis of course bought lunch after all is the older guy. Dennis have breakfast and I had something of the senior menu which wasn't bad. We talked for at least two hours the staff was good to us. Dennis was a little embarrassing after all is a Republican and watches the Trump channel. I somehow don't think he is on his way out just yet. I hope not, I still have lots to learn…

No comments: