Monday, February 24, 2020

Ghost School


Image result for east junior high, boise idaho

I was in junior high last night in my dream, good old EJS(East Junior High). Just walking around checking things out wish I could remember what the dream was about. The dream was not a bad dream just a dream of remembrance. I was pulled out of that dream around 5 AM when I got pinged with a text message. I was blessed in that the dream lingered or at least the feeling the dream produced lingered for some time. I of course begin to ruminate on the dream and the fact that the place for the dream took place to longer exists. I could get all Stephen King I guess, that East junior high still exists in the dreamland state where all the memories good and bad still exist. I still kind of hate the fact that the building is gone completely.

To the East of East junior high, directly east of the building was a one-story building called the Fieldhouse. I spent a lot of time in the Fieldhouse since that was where the wrestling team worked out all through the late autumn and early winter of the school year. I don't know that the Fieldhouse was used for anything other than a wrestling house but that's all I remember. There were a number of mat rooms and of course dressing rooms and showers. We usually worked out from 4 o'clock to 6 o'clock. I'm sure those who really wanted to could stay later at work out but that was never be. My dad often would stop by the Fieldhouse on the way home from work and pick me up. I had to be home to help with milking the cows and other chores. All through wrestling season the Fieldhouse bank of sweat and adolescent males. In the large mat room one giant mat had been made of placing numerous 4' x 6' mats together and covering them all with a mat cover. One of the coaches favorite exercises was having everybody lift the mat cover up off the mat's and then five or six people get under the mat cover and then the back cover was brought down and those not under the mat cover sit on the mat ceiling the edges of the mat. Those under the mat then, at the sound of the whistle, we do back to back sit outs and switch maneuvers for five minutes. That was dreadful the got so hot and dank under the cover I sometimes thought I was going to pass out. We often did that on Wednesday nights before weigh-in on Thursday afternoon getting ready for the wrestling matches the following Friday. You can lose a couple pounds in one night of working underneath the mat cover.

In my dream I wanted the halls but did not run into anybody, the school was empty except for me. I wandered around the library then down to the cafeteria then even down the back stairs to the boys locker room. I think I was at the ghost school, the only remains of the actual East junior high that still exist. My grade school is gone and my junior high is gone. Luckily high school and university still exist and I guess so do I

No comments: