Thursday, February 13, 2020

Our Woodpile

Sister Leah and brother Paul in 1956 seated in front of the only images of the wood pile.


My mother did many great things in her lifetime. One of those which astounded me more than others was her dedication to the concept that each child (as far as I know) would have a detailed photo album of family. I guess we were similar to other families working its way through the middle of the 20th century and taking advantage of the postwar boom of technology. The family camera seem to be everywhere in those days. Family reunions, Fourth of July picnics, Christmas morning just openings, family visits records of vacations etc. etc. We literally had boxes, cardboard boxes full of images/photographs and negatives. Where would the order of images photographs we also back envelope of weird reverse pictures: THE NEGATIVES. For some reason I had the back of my mind the illusion that these images would always be around. As I stated earlier, I was profoundly impressed when possibly for Christmas orbiting birthday my mother presented me with a photo album in which she had painstakingly curated image upon image relevant to me in this album. we had earlier albums which were bit more generic showing images of family events but Mom went out of her way, cropping and centering the subject of the photo in my case pictures of me.

Painfully, I found that mothers passing the all those negatives and boxes of images I thought would always be around were no longer available. It seemed decades earlier or at least one decade earlier mom had got rid of of all the images of my best, history in fact the family history. Painfully, I realized as I rushed to look closer at my photo albums that when she was focusing on the individual in the images mom had painstakingly cut out all the surrounding images on the photo! I was distraught. Even more so when I found out she'd gotten rid of all of the negatives. Nobody in the family kept them. I thought surely somebody would. That's why the other day when I was wandering through the last album my mother made me that I noticed an image of the woodpile behind my brother and sister of the old farm. This is the only record I have of this monument to Chaos theory.

This morning at the weekly coffee social I got on a tangent and telling people how as a child I have very little unstructured time. This concept of unstructured Kid time in my father's need to fend off the next depression brought up this “woodpile” pile of wood basically thrown together probably as high as 8 feet and a good 20 feet long. The woodpile was the final resting place of wooden shipping crates from my dad 's shop. My dad and begged the owner for all the crates the new furnaces were shipped in. Every Saturday it seemed we brought home a pickup load of crates which need to be disassembled and de-nailed and adjudicated which was useful in which wood would go to the stove. If we ever run out of things to do there is always the woodpile. Nails to be pulled and straightened them would be cut in stacks on and on. I don't know why but seeing this pile of work sticking out behind my brother and sister there in 1956 just soothe my soul. I have not made it up there was a huge pile of wood

Nowadays, I totally appreciate my father's mindset for the pile of wood. I think my dad's mind as long as we have the final word we could build anything, we always had fuel to keep warm and possibly a form of currency for civilization broke down and trade returned. I have the same thoughts regarding my food pantry.(

No comments: