Thursday, February 20, 2020

Hey! Thanks For Asking



The day is cold and brisk as I head out from my meeting over at Utah non profit housing. I hadn't really planned on making a trip into the city today in fact at this particular time I was kind of expecting to be catching the 217 Southbound to the library for bookclub. However, at coffee this morning sitting next to my friend Pat who is also on the Board of Directors for Utah nonprofit housing Corporation, same as me that today is the quarterly board meeting. I've been on the board for many years I take this job relatively seriously and they have good refreshments usually healthy stuff like fresh fruit, bottled water chips and dips and even those little bitty baby candy bars. I didn't know about the meeting and found out later about management's been operating under a defunct email address at least a decade old. I called the office and indeed there is a board meeting today and I gave the secretary my working Gmail address. Hopefully, I will not get sucker punched again.

Even with the sun trying as hard as it could temperature was cold and brisk. Dressed in my blue jacket and stocking I made it to the bus stop just minutes before the 47 pulled in. I felt fortunate in that I only had to wait four minutes once I got to the bus stop. I was glad to see the 47 make the turn on Redwood Road on 4700 S. I was quite relieved the driver looked a little bizarre someplace between a Rastafarian and the bus driver on The Simpsons. I should do was doing about a relegated The Simpsons to antiquity. I know better than to try to insert my will upon the driver by suggesting that they use the least amount of restraints possible to tie me down. I'm really trying to do the driver a favor and cut their time in the transition point in making me safe, and the eyes of the organization, to ride. So, I just sit there trying to be as compliant as possible as whoever the driver is leans over me and reaches this and reaches that to secure my chair from harm and danger which could be caused by the bus. Today, I was treated extra special, and my estimation when the driver asked me throughout my two fasten the cross chest belt.this is a built just as it sounds that fastens from one side across your chest to be other side. This is just another piece of fiction that will, I'm sure let the transit authority off the hook in case of the worst possible case outcome, I glance up and say “No, I'm okay”. I think the drivers visibly pleased that he doesn't have to fasten this last restraint. It turns and heads back to the drivers seat and then I is a fit of almost forgetfulness shout “no problem, and hey, thanks for asking”. I hope the guy just become a smart ass is it not. I really appreciate the guy taking the effort to ask me what I wanted as opposed to what he wanted. After all, I really don't enjoy these drivers hanging all over me fastening the safety belts. And few but appreciated cases I've been able to get away with just one restraint. Granted this is usually a driver who would rather not have to be on his bus at all anyway I could care less what management says and plans to restrain me as little as possible without realizing that's the best possible outcome for me on any given day to ride with as few restraints as possible

No comments: