Saturday, January 08, 2005

I fall there for I am.

It’s another in between day, warm ands windy. More snow is forecast for tonight and tomorrow so I figured I had better get my errand done while I could get round Ok. I had a number of things which would have necessited me getting in and out of my power wheelchair. I figured if I just drove to the train station and jump the train into the city this would be the least amount transfers. So I filled the van up and drove to the station and trained into downtown Salt Lake. I banked, went to the library, bought some Cat 5e cable and came on home.

<>You know every day is an adventure and today was no exception. The adventure really did not come until I was on my way home. The day had been windy with more sun the clouds but by afternoon things had began to reverse, more cloud had moved in and the wind took on a cold bite. I had not really powered my chair too bad but I could tell I was draining by batteries much quicker then I had anticipated. (I am going to have to invest in new batteries very soon it seems) By the time I had reached my home station my power warning lights were flashing. In fact I had to have some one push me up the ramp at the 2100 South Station. I figured I could make it to my van when I got to the 6400 South Station, after all it’s all down hill from the train to where I have my van parked. I had just gotten down the ramp and crossed the tracks and was heading toward my van, the last red light was frantically flashing, and my forward motion had <>Slowed to a crawl, I really thought I was OK…I may have to have some push me up onto my lift but I felt I was going to make it. But then my front castor hit something and my forward motion seized and I flew out of the chair and I was on the concrete. I had not belted in and had my arms fill with books, back pack etc and I just bit it. I laid there on the pavement for what seemed along time. A couple of old ladies wandered over and asked what they could do—there was no way they were going to lift me up. I just laid there looking at the world passing by wondering if I was going to freeze to death…but no today. Luckily a couple of UTA guys happen up and threw me back into my chair. I was messed up but I was OK. I had these guys follow me the rest of the way to my van to make sure I got in OK—then I drove home.

First time this year, each year I note I fall a few more times then I did the year before.

Four times last year, no broken bones…It’s just the second week in January.

1 comment:

riptideselkie said...

well you've gotten the embarassing moment of the year out of the way. now you can continue on without any worries of something worse coming along. :)