Thursday, January 20, 2005

Please Pass the Piroshki

The meeting with the Sister City program was interesting but late and long. The meeting place had been changed and I did not get the email. I actually got to the original designated place and even downloaded before finding out the meeting place had changed. I finally got to the new place Europa just before the meeting time. I am just amazed at how many Russian deli s and restaurants are popping up in the Salt Lake City area. I got in and made the general introductions right on time. There was about twenty people there throughout the evening most being Russian. We started right in on dinner. I was intrigued at how bland this food was. When I was at university Professor Skirmatz made the class a number of meals and I found her food quite tasty compared with last night’s fare. I shall keep an open mind however. What was fun was using my rusty Russian language skills. I am still quite a novice but the ability to even try with real live speakers is very reinforcing. I am at least looking at my grammar again. Who knows where this will wind up.

There look to be three Utah Cities in the Russian sister-City program. Salt Lake, West Jordan and Tooele; each having there own cities. The ROTARY is a big player with this project too. I am sure there will be more to come. The meeting went on for some time--I did not even get out till 9:30 or so...A long day for the Old Guy.

No comments: