Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Inversions and Russian-My Long Day

<>The inversions are back for Salt Lake City. We live is a Valley and when the high pressure moves is the cold settles in the vales and then gets capped by warmer air on top and the breathable air begins to stagnate, add to thousands and thousands of auto coming in and leaving work each day and you get Salt Lake City Black Air (SLCBA). You can see it, literally! Say if an inversion were to start on Monday and by Monday night’s drive home you could see the layer of sludge air beginning to sit on the city. If the inversion continues Tuesday is darker and breathing alerts are issued by Wednesday and everyone is praying for wind movement or precipitation by Thursday. I think you can see some of this if you go to the DOT website I have linked and access some of the cams on the map—you’ll find this interesting.

I feel guilty because I drove my van in today. I usually use public transit (UTA). So, today I have done my part to add to the City’s particulate levels. But I have a meeting this evening with the delegation from Salt Lake’s Russian sister city. This will start at 7:00 and go for who knows how long. This is my first meeting with the folks and I’ll advise how the meeting goes. I am the crip representtive. I suppose I represent the Salt Lake City Crips reaching across the world to our sister Russian City Crips in Izhevsk. This should be an interesting evening. I even drug out my old Russian Grammar…

No comments: