Saturday, January 29, 2005

“Shields Up” Family Reunion Ahead “Shields Up” Family Reunion Ahead“Shields Up” Family Reunion Ahead

I got the email this week. It official: THERE WILL BE A FAMILY REUNION THIS SUMMER! I thought I was off the hook for a couple of years because we just had a reunion last year. In the past it has taken the fam about 5 years to recover enough to consider another but now two reunions in a row and looks like more to come. Actually the older of the kids(there were ten of us) still are but counting spouses and extended families we are a whole lot more. All are getting to that age when they are looking to settle things or wax nostalgic enough to actually put up with the stress and trauma of getting everyone together. Already I see the stress clouds forming on the horizon. The first issue is the food. I was called by my sister after the soon after the email arrived. She has volunteered to coordinate the event. In that discussion she lets slip that there will be no cooking of food! It seems the brother, who did the cooking last year spent the whole time cooking. I think it was his “escape hatch” a noble calling which kept him of the discussion. No such luck this year—he will be part of the discussion and enjoy it. We will be dining on the best the Colonel, Ware mart or Target has to offer: deli potato salad, fried chicken, jello, par if, and soda. I am seriously considering bring my hibachi and cooking real food. Of course, I was duly threatened when I verbalized the threat.

I was so looking forward to Spring.

2 comments:

riptideselkie said...

don't not look forward to spring!! spring is a wonderful time and not even the foreshadowing of family reunions can sully that!! spring is wonderful! it means the even better summer, with it's blistering heat and endless days of sunshine are on the way. definitly worth a family reunion any day to be out of the snow and the cold and the rain.

Meadowlark's Mind said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.