Friday, December 16, 2016

Giving Back

Blog 1216 16 – – Friday


Yesterday was a near perfect day, well maybe not perfect but it's the kind of day I would like to be spending more of. Yesterday the 15th was the day of the annual U I L C Christmas party or holiday function. I was fortunate enough to be asked be Santa Claus one more yearat this annual function. I've been Santa at this event more or less for 20 years. Of course, I missed last year's function because I was recovering from neurosurgery for my stenosis. This year I'm just recovering from divorce.

Because it was Thursday I had my normal touchy-feely session offered here at the apartments of Thursday morning coffee group. There's about five or six or seven of us that get together under the watchful eye social worker with the organization and we just talk. It's not therapyit is just talk.. I don't talk a lot I'm usually the only male participant which is okay and I am usually the youngest one of the group. Don't have a lot off the other senior women in the group. I do not know how different the there was a “men's group”. Or maybe I'm just antisocial that could be.


Luckily I was able to excuse myself from early so I could access public transit over to independent living center. I was able to make the trip relatively quickly getting to the center just in time for the meal. This year the fare was spaghetti. There is also garlic bread and corn.. The meal was not bad all things considered. My friend Kim stressed me as usual soon I was out on the floor as Santa. This is a good year I was surprised at how fast the event went. We did the usual I handed out candy canes visited briefly with each of the visitors who want to come up and see Santa, we took pictures and got to the whole ordeal less than an hour. In years past we gone up to three hours. So by the time they turn me loose I realized I had ample time to get over to Utah Non-Profit Housing Corporation.. I had a board meeting scheduled for Thursday that I did not think I was going to be able to attend because of bein Santa. When I got to the Corporation I had about an hour to wait before the beginning of the meeting.

It was great being at the board meeting especially since I missed last year's December meeting being at the skilled Nursing Facility. These people really like me. The meeting was a good meeting I received presents one from last year and the one from this year. This year was a box of mixed nuts from th Nut House– – really great nuts and a really great gift.


I was pleased and fortunate to have good weather to travel by yesterday. However the rain did start in the early evening as I was traveling home. The rain was not bad the temperature was not cold. I had done my duty I had attended my meetingsI had given back to my community. Today I got lucky

No comments: