Monday, March 04, 2019

A Fox, A Dog, ad the Serif Of Beauty

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

above sentence written in Garamond font..



The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. I've seen this sentence 1000 times it seems like to me but I've never really understood are realized the sentence is an example of all the letters in the alphabet being used in one specific sentence sort of like the classic placing of the hands of a watch for sale is on 10 and two. I never realize there are age-old constructs in place the only certain groups of individuals know about sort of like the secret handshake.

I just got off the phone with my friend from Holland. It was another marathon call I think I started at 4 o'clock and we disconnected our Internet link just a few minutes ago. It was like three in the morning in her city of Nijmegen, Netherlands. Elske, is the commercial artist and educator at the local community college. I've written about her before, you can go back through this blog through 2018 you see a number of references and some of her work. Elske is a trained artist and technician she knows what she's doing. I guess I had never shared with her that I did a daily blog in tonight I did share with her a link to this blog. Elske was fascinated but she suggested that I changed the font of the blog. I cannot believe how this suggestion threatened me. I'm still having to wrap my mind around the idea of changing the font . I can't believe that the font that I use which is Times Roman is such a big deal to me… unbelievable.

Anyway, Elske suggested that I use the font Garamond. She said it was one of the serif fonts. She thought my blog would be better with Garamond font of the serifs. The serifs?! What the hell is that? I mean I understand I went out of my way to find a font that I liked which is Times Roman of course. I think I like Times Roman because it's blocky are maybe masculine? This is probably a stupid reason for selection of a font but still. She sent me a link to whole websites dedicated to types of fonts and particularly a type called serif fonts. I figured out quickly the serif was the squiggly on the end of one of the letters in the fonts – – I don't think I'm saying this right but that's the only thing I can come up with. I was intrigued that there is whole disciplines of thought focused on the letters words were fabricated from. Even more so I was flabbergasted that it made a difference to me. I was intrigued to read that the Garamound font is considered one of the most beautiful fonts that exist I was intrigued that Elske knew this that had registered such an impact on her.

I don't know if I will this particular font and start writing all the time in this font. It took me forever to go to a size 14 point and I did that just because somewhere I learned that 14 was the comfortable size font to read. So if in fact Garamond is so beautiful and considered one of the most readable fonts but maybe I need to rethink my feelings regarding Times Roman and the beauty of a font with a serif…





No comments: