Monday, March 18, 2019

Stretch 123



I think I've mentioned there is a senior center adjacent to the building here where I live. I believe I have also complained about how the senior center is really not fully accessible to seniors with significant disabilities. I don't know if that's by plan or just oversight. However, be that as it may I still want to utilize the facility and I'm going to squeeze myself into that facility whether the management likes it or not.

I workout everyday of the week except Sunday. By working out I mean I crank my arm bike 30 minutes. I use what is called a Saratoga Silver it's pretty old technology now but still works well for me and my needs. There is a computer program that runs the resistance of the arm crank and I really like this piece of equipment and I'm thankful to have access to this in my own apartment. I at one time was involved in the University's program of disability weight training type stuff. I think it cost like 35 bucks a month and was the bad program but I had to access their equipment in a facility quite a ways away from my apartment which would mean a lot of public transit every day except the weekends. Still I may have to resort to going through the University program again since they are the only folks in town, more or less, which serves folks with severe disabilities in any kind of a workout program.

There's a bulletin board in the mailroom here at the apartment complex which of course posts all kinds of ads and bulletins of one sort or another. Housekeepers looking for work, senior programs earn a few bucks on the side and of course take the last cruise of your life. I was interested a few weeks ago are now months ago that the University of Utah athletic department has a program here at the apartment complex or actually over at the senior center where students post a workout session twice a week Mondays Wednesdays from 545 to 6:45 PM. Sad, I must admit I was interested but by 5:45 PM I am about done for the day. I want to watch the news, have some dinner right my blog and zone out on some TV before I go to bed. I have forgotten the program every week until today. The weather is beautiful today upper 50s I don't need a coat and of course we are now into daylight savings which means much light at the end of the day. I actually went over to talk to the folks about their program. Tonight the program was facilitated with four very athletic looking women for the University. There was also for seniors five counting me. I worked out with the crew tonight and it was an okay work out especially for being next-door and being with other people. Of course everything which was done was primarily done for folks that were able-bodied but old. However they did have some weights that I can put on my arms and get some upper body workout going more so than just what I do with the arm bike. I tried to work out as best as I could with the group. There was actually an a multiple block walk before we started class which probably didn't do me any good doing the walk in my chair but you know what else could I do? There were stretches, there were exercises where I had to move my arms at the same time one direction than the next direction then back again. I must admit it was really a workout I was getting kind of tired towards the end. Of course I cannot do the deep knee bends, squats are running in place but that's cool. I think I got a fairly decent workout plus there's the advantage of talking to one of these little trainers and them giving me some insights on what I can do at home on my own to stretch and works of muscles that I'm not doing now.

It wasn't the best workout in the world but felt like I was doing something good for myself and it was something I could do right across the street from my apartment complex. I don't know how long I will do this and I'm sure the program will dissolve and school lets out for summer break but until then I have a place to mingle on Monday nights and possibly Wednesdays as well. All this, socialization and workout music life doesn't get better…

No comments: