Thursday, March 28, 2019

A T Council



Today was A T Council, (Assistive Technology) rehabilitation/independent living jargon for what I spent most of my professional life doing. I've worked in one form of A T or another. Again, long-term readers will remember that when I was employed for the state of Utah I actually hosted a webpage called the Sales Bank. Anyway A T Council has been a statewide coalition of Utah agencies and organizations that service people with disabilities with a focus on assistive technology. In the old days the Council was a big deal in many respects. We had representatives from all levels of state government it seemed as well as education systems and various private nonprofits. I represented people with disabilities who used assistive technology but I also represented the independent living center that I worked for. We had number of directors of state organizations specifically Utah State office of rehabilitation. I didn't realize it at the time but this is a fairly big deal. There was money around thanand all the meetings are catered (in fairness and honesty they still are in the still hot meals just with less finesse as the old days).

I preface this to explain why I had feelings of insecurity last night as I was trying to figure out what is going to wear. I don't know why all of a sudden I am plagued with the inadequacy but they certainly seem to be there. It seems I no longer wear pants, okay before he we get too excited, I wear shorts all the time. I actually was beginning to worry that I would look to weird if I were shorts. Luckily however I had my newest pair shorts which I call my good shorts which are reserved for anything that slightly formal. I put on a black shirt that was long in the back with long sleeves the fairly tight neck but I did feel good in the shirt I felt itchy—I knew the thing was washed this felt like it wasn't. After my first meeting of the day, the coffee group, went back to the room and changed into the mystery shirt I I received at Christmas. And I looked all right I believe.. The day was gloomy and overcast fairly warm but there were a few hints of rain possible so fairly new light weight sweatshirt which I put over my legs that gave me an illusion of modesty as well as a backup garment should things get cold. I guess I was a little weirded out because I was worried about looking Doty (I don't know if that's the right Doty are not). I think I'm beginning to look like a hobo. I guess I should, at least wear socks.

As I said earlier, we used to meet I think monthly then every two months than quarterly now twice a year. It was good to see everybody some folks of dropped off, retired or died. New people have come on and it's great to see the young ones and feel their vitality and feeling they can make a difference. There are a number of folks there from independent living side and they were as disruptive and odd as I had been when I represented the IL. In fact I made a point of wearing blue jeans/Levi's to these meetings just to challenge professional/institutionalization of the inside of the aisle. Then I feel good again I'm representing who I am the old parts of disabilities and really I'm probably right in the middle I at least look like I live somewhere and that I'm doing okay…

No comments: