Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Red Meat Yum Yum Eatem Up!


Related image
Do you know that I'd never had real corned beef and cabbage and tell I was married to Dianne. Seriously, I had never cooked a real corned beef. I figured you made corn beef and cabbage (which you can we sure as heck did as a kid) with cabbage and a couple cans of corned beef. I love canned corned beef. I really thought that was the way you had corned beef for us from that little can with the key stapled to the bottom which you had to remove and then twist to reveal the meet product. Three of my favorite meats came this way one was corned beef, than the ever tasty spam and finally Kipper snacks. Notice I don't even include tuna fish, sardines, and the jury still out regarding anchovies.

Like I said the only corned beef and cabbage and experienced before I met my third wife was corned beef from a can. I actually liked corned beef and cabbage the vegetable carried the great flavor of the corned beef and you had snippets of the corned beef but the meat is basically small flakes of the meat product. I was totally amazed the first time Dianne made the dish probably for St. Patrick's day. A wonderful red meat – – so I suppose the meat is not good for me but it certainly tasty. Boiled cabbage with small potatoes and carrots served next to slices, real substantial pieces of protein, corned beef. Sliced thin or thick however a person enjoy this late winter or early spring treat. I don't know if I just had the corned beef by itself or maybe the corned beef that I get in the package from the market that has all the peppercorns and who knows what else is part of the corned beefing process , I don't know and the corned beef supper is one of those meals which only gets better with age in the form of leftovers (if the corned beef brisket survives the first setting).

There's snow on It's way tonight supposedly hitting the Salt Lake Valley floor tomorrow so I probably won't be venturing out until at least Thursday when I have to go south for the bookclub. But Thursday or Friday I plan to stop by the market and pick up at least one package of corned beef. I can't believe how expensive the cut has gotten. Seems like in the old days the piece of corned beef was relatively inexpensive. Luckily cabbages are still cheap. Cabbages seems to last forever and am learning more and more ways to enjoy the vegetable. So, I may do the corned beef and cabbage dish on Saturday or maybe just wait for St. Patty's day just to enjoy the full holiday in spirit. Perhaps if I were to do it right I would even have some beer and dye the beverage green that's a lot of work for a non-beer drinker and only one person at my table.

No comments: